nineteen.

(timelines between the fic and series might be a lil off but nothing too major! let's just pretend the timelines fit)

PLLSSSSSS comment while reading if you wanna it'd make me very happy :)

__________________________

as i woke up and got ready for my day everything seemed pretty normal.

my ride to school was equally as uninteresting and anything but extraordinary, same as first period.

and so, everything seemed to be normal, until..

"hey, aimee." i greeted and she gave me a friendly kiss on the cheek as opposed to a hug because, well, she was carrying a bunny cake through school with only one hand like a professional waiter and couldn't risk dropping it to the floor by hugging me.

"what's that cake about?"

"oh, didn't you know? it's maeve's birthday!" she exclaimed happily.

✰—

"was no one gonna tell me that it's maeve's birthday?" i whisper-shouted at both eric and otis and simultaneously gave them both a good slap over the head.

i forcefully shoved my backpack under the uncomfortable benches in the cafeteria and bit into my apple, awaiting any form of excuse from them.

"i thought you knew..?", otis responded with a look that basically screamed for help on eric's part.

"yeah, if anyone was to know maeve's birthday it'd be you. i mean at this point i'm wondering how you don't already know the taste of her p-"

"eric!", otis interrupted.

"- pretzels. i was going to say pretzels." he exclaimed with his hands up in the air defensively.
"you know, the ones she sold at pretzel parlor." he added.

"now what am i gonna do?" i asked with a whiny voice while eric stroked my arm, but more in hopes not to get slapped on the head again and probably not because he was actually keen on consoling me.

"what do you mean?" he asked, both of them looking equally as confused.

"i don't have anything to give to her! i've been avoiding her all day. at this point i think she's noticed. i ran into the men's bathroom on accident when i tried to hide from her and she definitely saw."

eric stifled a laugh and i gave him a look which made him straighten up and clear his throat.

"sorry, it's not funny. absolutely not funny."

"why are you avoiding her anyway? i'm pretty sure she doesn't really care about her birthday that much. she said the hated birthdays earlier." otis butted in with a comforting smile.

"what, you already talked to her?"

"i congratulated her, yeah. didn't know it was her birthday until then either though."

great, really great.

if even weird and awkward otis already congratulated her and didn't make a big deal out of it, she must think i'm an even bigger weirdo now.

"why do you even need to give her something anyways. is it like a girls thing?" he continued and i furrowed my brows.

"otis don't be sexist." eric sort of whispered towards him and i couldn't suppress a smile.