fifteen.

"choking's pretty hot, though."

"maeve!" i scolded.

"what? don't like choking?" she teased, raising her eyebrows while i was just trying to watch leonardo dicaprio and kate winselt run from those nasty men in the movie.

"no, i do, i guess? i just don't feel comfortable talking about stuff like that."

she scoffed and shook her head. "what, so you literally run a sex clinic in school but aren't comfortable talking about sex?"

"no, it's not like that."

"okay, tell me what it's like, then.", she challenged with a cocky smile.

my ears felt as though they were going to burst out into flames at any moment and i sighed. "i just don't really wanna talk about sex with straight girls." i joked, trying to cover up the reason why i actually didn't want to talk about it with maeve.

"okay, who ever said that i'm straight, ever?" she asked and i furrowed my brows.

"you. literally. you said it to sean that day that i fell of the bike." i explained, but put my hand to my mouth pretty quickly when i realized that i was supposed to act like i never overheard that conversation.

now maeve was the one who furrowed her brows and put on a confused face until the confusion suddenly turned into panic.

"you heard that?"

i nodded slowly, not really understanding why she was getting all panicky and shit.

"okay, look." she began, brushing her hand through her hair. "when i said that i liked you, i didn't really mean it." she said but quickly corrected herself when she saw my confused expression.

"i mean, i did mean it! i meant it, but, like, i don't like you anymore. i mean, i like you, but not in that way, you know. you have aimee now, anyways."

i just sat in silence for a few seconds, absentmindedly watching how jack got accused of stealing the heart of the ocean as my heart raced in my chest.

it was only racing because the situation was pretty unexpected though, not because i actually still liked her.

maeve liked me? around the same time that i liked her? that's what she said to sean?

"you.. liked me? the way you were supposed to like jackson?"

the girl next to me nodded.

i took a swing and slapped her right on the head.

"ow, what the fuck?" she yelled, holding her hand to the part i just slapped.

"you can't just do that, maeve! i liked you too! i almost went insane liking you. you can't just tell me you liked me at the same time that i convinced myself that you were never going to like me in that way!" 

maeve just stared at me blankly for a few seconds before she burst out laughing.

"what the fuck is so funny?"

she held up a hand, signaling for me to wait while she finished up her unnecessary laughing.

"so, you're telling me we both liked each other around the same time and convinced ourselves that the other would never like us back?"