sixteen.

"i wanna kiss them."

"you do?"

"fuck yeah," i answered groggily, ultimately closing my eyes because it started to hurt even having them open.

maeve sighed, but at this point i wasn't paying attention to anything anymore. i just wanted to lay down for maybe a century.

"maybe later, love," she murmured, but i was too sleepy to catch it.

the next thing i knew was being woken by the clicking sound of a camera.

it took me a short while, but once i finally did open my eyes, i saw maeve standing in front of me with her phone in one hand and the piece of pizza from earlier in the other.

"were you taking a picture of me?" i asked with an almost normal sounding voice. i couldn't have been sleeping, or whatever the hell i was doing, for very long then.

maeve absentmindedly took a bite of her pizza and then shook her head. "no, don't be delusional. i was taking a selfie. what else would i have been doing?" she answered, looking almost bashful.

i rolled my eyes, causing her to stick her tongue out at me and then asked: "what exactly happened?"

she shoved in the last piece of her pizza and began speaking with said pizza still in her mouth. "you, clumsy as always, basically ran into the cupboard and then, i don't know, passed out? or maybe you just slept, i honestly don't know. it was only for, like, 5 minutes anyways."

if any other person had spoken to me with their mouth full of food, i would've scolded them and maybe even called them a disgusting pig, but maeve honestly looked too adorable.

"what, so you didn't bother getting, like, an ambulance or something?"

maeve shrugged. "no. at the end you were going to be fine. i also put a bandaid on your forehead."

with a little chuckle, i touched said bandaid. "a bandaid? what, are you turning american now?"

maeve scoffed. "yeah, you wish. i'm too smart to be american."

"are you calling me stupid?"

"no. i'm saying americans are stupid."

i narrowed my eyes in confusion. "so you're saying i'm stupid."

she shook her head. "i'm not saying that."

"yeah, okay, but you are."

"i'm not saying you're stupid. just.. americans are. donald trump, for example."

"okay, but i'm american, so.."

"aren't you german, though?"

i nodded, still confused. "yeah, but only half. plus, my dad grew up in america, so i don't get what you're saying."

"you're german. german's are smart. nietzsche, for example, right?"

a laugh erupted from my stomach. "maeve, you do know that donald trump is also german, right?"

maeve just rolled her eyes. "yeah, yeah. of course i know that."

i sat up and crossed my legs as maeve flopped down next to me, the scent her perfume whirling around in the air.

the scent of her perfume stayed, though, instead of going away.

trying to be discreet, i scooted closer to her and took a deep breath, playing it off as a sigh.

maeve didn't seem to notice, she just started playing with the ends of my hair.

she must've put on more perfume when i was passed out. weirdly, that made my heart flutter.