Chapter Twenty Three: Take My Breath Away

~ I approached the smiley receptionist, leaving muddy footprints trailing behind me. The receptionists eyes looked up to meet mine, her gaze made me feel week melting my posture. She beamed sweetly making me push away the lump away in my throat, my fingers fiddling at the counters surface.

This was it time to speak up.

“Hi... My name is Cara and uh I am here for an abortion” I spoke slowly. ~

The time had arrived after what seemed like forever waiting, I was called in for my procedure. I walked towards the plain intimidating room, the nurses had previously asked me questions to find out the appropriate abortion plan for me. They’d taken my blood and a urine sample. Now inside the room I made my way towards the bed adjusting my gown. I laid on my back staring at the cream ceiling above, tracing its bumpy texture in attempt to distract myself. I began twiddling with my fingers nervously. I would be lying if I didn’t feel incredibly vulnerable right now. My day dream was cut off when the doctor turned his chair around to face me, his goofy glasses and cheesy grin made me question his profession…

“Hello…”

“Cara” I interrupted the man in front of me.

“Ahh Cara! Well evening I am Dr Colman I will be in charge of today’s procedure, I am aware you gave us a blood sample as well as a urine a nurse will be any second with those results” he stood up flicking trough my notes. “Do you have any questions about what will be happening before I begin?” his voice reassuring he’s clearly done this many a times.

“Just one actually… uh will it hurt?” I questioned looked down at my hands apprehensive.

“You'll have some period-type pain or discomfort. You'll be advised about taking appropriate painkillers when you leave. With this specific abortion, the injection to numb the cervix can sometimes be painful. After any type of abortion, you could also experience some bleeding for up to 14 days afterwards, and the period-type pains. I won’t lie it’s going to feel slightly uncomfortable, but as much as you relax the better it will be!” I nodded trying to process it all when the nurse came in with my results.

“You ready sweetie? It doesn’t take long would you like me to stay with you?” she asked sympathetically, when I nodded she put on some latex gloves and took hold of my hand squeezing it slightly. “Alrighty were all ready, if you could lie back relax we can start the procedure” he approached me snapping the gloves onto his hands making me swallow hard.

As I rested my head back inhaling a deep breath of air my phone began to ring shaking on the surface. I ignored it when it rang another 3 times, I tried blocking it out biting the inside of my mouth anxiously. “Here hunny you should answer it, whoever is calling seems to be persistent!” the nurse shoved my phone in my face. I took hold of my phone reluctantly clicking the home button, when the caller started to call again ….. it was Camila.

I answered it hesitantly having not spoken to her a lot since our kiss, it wasn’t out of awkwardness I had actually really enjoyed it. But with everything that was going on recently I hadn’t got round to calling her.

“Finally Cara where the heck are you I’m worried sick!” Camila’s voice screamed through the speaker making me feel guilty.

“I’m busy at the minute can I call you back in a bit?” I questioned trying to get off the phone.

“NO YOU CAN NOT! Alex told me everything tell me where you are right this second, and don’t you dare lie to me!” her voice scary… but she knew everything and I couldn’t lie to her not everything’s she’s done for me in the past.