Chapter 16

Calvin's POV

I'm patrolling the borders when rogues and hunters breach past our patrol. They killed two members of my pack, using wolf's bane.

Once those members were down, they ran straight into our lands and try to go to the pack house. I ran as fast as I can back to the pack house, trying to get Miles to safety. I mindlinked my warriors to protect the pack. I link my brother to sound the alarm in the pack house. Distantly, I hear the alarm turn on.

I quickly reach my bedroom, grabbing Miles' hand and running out and to the safe room. While we are running, Miles screams, "Calvin, what's happening?"

I just shake my head, urging him not to ask me any questions. We make it to the safe room after running down many flights of stairs and through some rooms.

We arrive in front of the secured door, typing in the code and unlocking all the locks. We walk in, and I freeze when I hear Miles ask suspiciously, "Calvin, why did I just see Joe turn into a wolf?"

"You didn't," I respond quickly. Too quickly. I turn to look at the door, knowing that I have to go fight to protect my pack. I don't want to leave my mate alone, especially after what he's just seen. "I'll explain everything to you when I get back, but I must go, we are being attacked."

That's all I say, then I turn to the door and run out. I shift quickly, running to join the fight. I collide with the first rogue I see, clenching my jaws on their neck. I shake quickly, snapping their neck.

I move onto the hunter I see lining up a shot at Jason. I tackle him to the ground, striking my claws through his chest, leaving him to bleed out.

I should have snapped his neck, because he gets close enough to take a knife to my left side. I feel it drag through my skin, causing me to yelp. I'm worried about Miles, our bond is probably strong enough that he could feel the pain. Not even to mention that he just saw a werewolf shift for the first time.

We finish up dealing with the rogues and hunters. We left a few survivors, to keep to get information. Having no losses, I run back to the pack house safe room. I open the door as fast as I can, wanting to get to my little rabbit.

I see everyone crowding around one corner. Looking closer, I see my mate is what everyone is staring at. I bark at everyone to back up and give him space. The only people who stay by him are Jessica and Amber. I look to them in question, and they explain the situation, "He was super pale after you left so we made him sit down. He starting shaking and breathing really heaving, having a panic attack. Then he must've felt something because he started screaming. Now, as you can see, he's not doing too well."

I rush over to his side, and hold him tight, trying to show him that I'm here. My side has already healed, the only thing that remains is dried blood.

Miles looks up at me with a crazed look in his eyes. He whispers, "Help me. I think I'm going insane."

"My little rabbit, you are completely sane. Let's go to my room so we can talk," I urge quietly, trying to avoid all the listening ears.

He nods but goes back into the ball he was sitting in. I pick him up gently, not wanting to frighten him. He cuddles into my chest and I hold him closer.

We make it to my room and I sit him on the bed. He stays in the same position, a small ball, rocking himself back and forth. He focuses on me again, a questioning look in gaze.

"What is happening? I saw so many wolves! And then Joe turned into one! And no one else was surprised. I also felt this intense pain that wasn't even mine! I think I'm going crazy and I don't want to be a burden. Just let me go, I'm no good for you. I'm damaged. I'm no good," he rants off, the crazed look in his eyes getting worse the more he talks.

I grab his hand, putting it on my heart. I tell him, "Just breathe little rabbit. You are not insane. What you saw was real. The pain you felt was real. You are not damaged, you are perfect. Perfect for me."

He nods, trying to believe what I'm saying. Tears form in his eyes, "Please explain... Everything."

Time to tell my mate my biggest secret.