Chapter 9

"And my sisters husband's name is?" I question as Robert opens the door to the restaurant.

"Matthew." He says, rolling his eyes.

I nod, stepped up to the hostess stand. "We're here with the Lindseys, party of four."

"Right this way."

Robert falls into step beside me, his arm around my lower back as we're led to a table.

I squeal, my sister standing up and giving me a tight hug.

"Look at you!" She says, stepping back an examining me.

"Forget me, when'd you go back to blonde?" I ask looking at her short hair.

"About three months ago." Her husband says he gives me a quick hug.

"So, is this him?" My sister asks.

I glance behind me and smile. "Grace, this is Robert. Robert, this is my sister Grace and her husband Matthew." I take a half step to the side.

"Very nice to meet you, she hasn't stopped talking about you all week." Robert says with a bright smile, shaking their hands.

"Accent?" My sister glances at me.

"Yep. Got me an Australian." I say as I pull out a chair and sit.

I start to take off my jacket as Robert pushes my chair in, then sits beside me.

"Such a dork." He muses.

"Very rich coming from a human string bean." I retort, making him smile.

A few minutes of small talk pass, along with a waiter taking our drink orders.

"So, how'd you meet?" Grace asks.

"Well actually we met on my birthday a few months ago. My roommate brought her boyfriend with us to Universal, and when I was buying a soda, I happened to meet a total cutiepie who flirted endlessly with me." I say.

"I was working and she was being annoyed by her friend, we got talking and I offered to show her the best rides in the park." Robert says. "That's what actually happened."

"Yeah but you did flirt with me."

"Only because you started it. Goofball."

I scoff. "String bean."

Robert chuckles. "Anyways, we exchanged numbers and met up a few times that week, and had our first date that Friday." He says.

"And here we are about three months later." I say.

"So, Robert how old are you?" Matthew asks.

"I turn twenty-three in a a few months."

"That's a bit of a difference."

"Not really, only a few years." I say taking a sip of my iced tea.

"So sorry we're late!" A voice says, approaching the table.

I turn my head then quickly stand, my chair scraping the floor. "Mom?"

"Oh, hi." She frowns as my dad comes up behind her.

"Kayla? What are you doing here?" He asks.

"Wondering if my sister actually wanted to see me or if she wanted to get me in a public area so I'd have to get along with you." I say, casting a look to my sister.

She gives me a forced smile.

"Who's this?"

I face forward, seeing my mom now focused on Robert.