Chapter 20

"I still can't believe you didn't tell them!" I say, pulling out a Chinese food container, sliding it across the counter to Robert. "Save me some. I mean, they're some of your closest friends and you didn't tell them we got engaged?"

"I've been busy with work, you know that. And I never put up the pictures my mum sent." Robert says, scooping out the food onto two plates, using a fork to remove the mushrooms from my helping. "But you haven't either."

"Well yeah, I've been out of town on business." I say, taking out thing of spring rolls, passing them down. "Two for me, two for you. But it shouldn't be my job to let your friends know."

"Some do, mostly the ones on a different continent, but still! I mean, have you even told your family?" Robert looks at me.

I mess with the flaps of a container of fried rice. "I've eluded to having some sort of news to my siblings, and you know I don't speak to my parents other than a quick text on holidays."

"How about we see if your sister and them can video before we eat?" Robert suggests.

I shrug, getting up from the counter stool and walking out to the couch where I left phone, and type out a text.

Barely a minute later, my sister responds. With a smile, I throw up a thumbs-up as I hit the video call button.

Robert joins me on the couch just as my sister answers.

"Hey little sis! How's LA?"

"Oh same old same old! How are you guys? Are the girls there?" I ask.

"They're doing homework at the table. What's with a spontaneous call? And where's that Aussie of yours?" My sister asks.

"Robert's right here, continuing to longingly stare at the kitchen where dinner waits. I got his favorite Chinese food." I shrug nonchalantly as Robert leans over.

"Hi Grace!" He waves.

"Hey dude, how are you?"

"Tired." He admits. "We had to reblock almost every song today, so all the months of hard work on my choreograph went to waste. But hey! I got Chinese food, and a Harry Potter marathon."

"It's the small victories." My sister laughs.

"Yeah, ya know that is exactly what I said!" I joke.

Robert scoffs. "Liar."

I smile at him, then look back at my phone as it warns my battery is low. "Okay, my phone's dying so we gotta do this quick, can you gather the crew around?"

"Yeah, one sec." My sister sets her device down, walking off to round up her family.

Seconds later, the camera angle shifts, giving a lovely view of my sister and her husband, with their kids around them.

After quick hellos, I look at Robert, who nods slightly.

"Okay, so the reason for this call is," I take a deep breath, holding the phone in my right hand as I bring my left up. "Robert asked me to marry him, and I said yes."

"Oh my gosh!"

I laugh as my family goes crazy on the other end of the call.

"Sis, I am so happy for you! But, you know you have to tell them." Grace says.

I nod. "Yeah, maybe I'll sneak it in when I send Mom's birthday card." I scoff.

"Hey, this is huge. You got a good one, I'm really happy for you, however, Robert if you hurt her, I will kill you."

"Understood, just like the last ten times you mentioned that."

"Alright, I gotta plug my phone in. I'll call you hopefully this weekend, fill you in on how it happened." I wave before ending the call.

I toss my phone down and stand up, walking into the kitchen. I grab two forks, setting them on the plates, then bring the plates out as the opening tune of the first Harry Potter movie comes on.

Handing Robert his plate, I sit cross-legged on the couch.

"I have three days off next week, Universal is doing some renovations in my area, I think we should drive out and see your parents." Robert says suddenly.

I cough, a piece of sesame chicken getting stuck in my throat before going down. "What?" I turn and face my fiance.

"We have to tell them anyways, and I think it should be in person. It's been a few years, maybe they've settled."

"Counter argument, I want nothing to do with them and the feeling is mutual." I say.

"C'mon, that's not fair. They're your parents -"

"They evicted me!"

"They still deserve to know." Robert says.

"It's not like it matters if we go to Arizona, they're probably in Florida right now." I say, picking at my food.

"I made you upset."

"Yeah, no shit!" I set my plate on the coffee table. "You of all people should know how much I want nothing to do with them."

"It's been almost four years, don't you think they'd have changed?" Robert asks.

"No! They don't change, they get worse." I say.

I lean over grabbing my phone.

"What're you doing?"

"Calling my mom so you'll stop." I press the phone to my ear.

After a few minutes, I sigh, setting my phone down. "I guess we're going to Florida."

I move away from the couch.

"Dinner?"

"Not hungry!" I say, slamming the bedroom door shut.

I sit down on the bed, pulling my legs to my chest.

A few minutes later the door opens slowly as Robert steps in.

"Go away." I snap.

"Darling, you need to eat." He says, holding up my plate.

"Why would you - you know how I feel about them." I say softly.

"I know, but people can change. Please, for me."

I look at him, then take my half eaten dinner. "Thank you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry I haven't updated recently, my family has been crazy and my mom has been sick, so literally all my attention has been on helping.

Uhhh yeah I mean that's about it. Damn my life is boring.
Uh probably gonna change this to just updating on Fridays, which I feel like I've already said.

Anyways, Happy Valentines Day to you all, and remember that Black Friday is out soon (can't wait, I've watched about every Starkid related video on YouTube so i need new content) and uh oh what is you favorite Starkid fanfic? I'm in the mood to read!

Ight, bye my friends!! 💖