Chapter 28

I push myself up, rubbing my eyes before crawling out of the bed.

Before leaving the room, I grab Robert's hoodie off the door, slipping it on as I shuffle down the hall.

"Hey, Sleeping Beauty." He says from the table.

I yawn, walking over, sitting on his lap, and curling against him.

Robert chuckles, putting his left hand on my back. "Feeling better?"

I nod, my head on his chest.

"Oh, are you sick?"

I sit up, my eyes wide as Robert gives me a small smile.

"Kayla, what are you doing?" My mom asks as she steps out of the kitchen with a cup of coffee.

"The couch is messy, and I'm not sick," I mumble, burying my head in the crook of Robert's neck.

"She was up all night." He explains, rubbing my back. "And I cleaned it up."

I sit up with a smile, immediately getting up only to flop onto the couch, curling into a ball.

"Absolute lunatic." Robert shakes his head.

"And yet we're engaged," I say.

"You may be crazy, but I'm crazy about you."

"Here, this should help." My mom says as she walks over, holding out a steaming mug.

"Ooh coffee!" I take the mug.

"No! Put it down!" Robert turns in his chair.

"Buzz off." I scoff.

"No coffee. You know what it does to you, especially on no sleep." He says.

"What's going on?" My mom asks.

"I need full caffeinated coffee because of my hours, but it messes her up inside, so she drinks tea. And if she is up too long and tries to drink coffee, she is a monster." Robert explains as he gets up, taking the mug.

"Noo!"

"This is mine, I'll bring you tea." He says, leaning down and kissing me.

"Okay, love you," I say as he walks into the kitchen.

"He's very cute." My mom says quietly.

I let out a laugh.

"Stop cackling!" Robert calls from the kitchen.

"I think he's cute too," I whisper as he walks over, handing me a mug. "Thank you my darling!"

Robert rolls his eyes as he sits beside me, sipping his coffee. "You have three hours to shower and get ready." He says.

"For?" I ask.

"Engagement party."

I furrow my brow. "Who's?"

Robert looks at me. "Ours."

I shake my head and blow on my drink. "No, ours is on Saturday," I say.

"Today is Saturday," Robert says.

"Ahh, dangit! Where's the dress Mariah and I bought?" I ask, setting the tea down.

"Back of the bathroom door."

"Thanks, love you!" I say as I move down the hall.
I snag my dress, walking into the bedroom, figuring out the rest of my outfit.

"Hey babe, where's my strapless bra?" I yell.

"Uhh didn't you wear it Thursday? Check the hamper or under the bed."