Chapter 17

~~~~ 2 years later ~~~~

I groan silently, plastering a smile on before pushing open the door to my bosses office.

"Ah! Glad you could make it, please sit down." My editor motions to a chair, his eyes still on the computer im front of him.

"If this is about my article, I sent it in two days ago, but I can resend -"

"No, I got it, good as always. Why do you need time off?" My editor asks, now focusing on me.

"Oh! Well my boyfriends parents and his sister and her husband are flying in to visit and he wants to do a small trip along the coast. They've never really seen Cali, so I -"

"Is there a special occasion?"

I stop, then shake my head. "Not that I know of. Normally,  he visits them in Australia, but only on holidays." I say.

My editor nods. "Well, it just so happens that I need someone to visit the San Fran office. Who better than my number one?" He smiles.

"So wait - I can take the week off?"

"Yeah, just carve some time to pop by, make sure everything is smooth out there." My editor says. "And since it's on my behalf, it counts as an assignment. So, you're covered."

"Thank you!" I smile.

"Of course, just make sure that gets done. You've worked hard enough the last few years, so enjoy some time off."

~~

I shut the door behind me, dropping my keys and shrugging my jacket off. "Babe!"

"Bedroom!"

I kick my shoes off, petting one of the dogs as I walk down the hall.

"What's this?" I watch as Robert adjusts a frame on the wall.

"Just a little something." He says as I walk over, my arms around his torso.

I smile, looking at the collage of pictures of us from various trips and holiday events.

"Love it, also, I got the time off." I say.

"Awesome! My family got in early and want to meet for dinner." Robert says, adjusting the frame one last time.

"Cool, where we going?" I walk to the open closet.

"Somewhere high class."

I pull out a hanger. "So dressing like a stripper is out?" I joke.

Robert glances at me. "One hundred percent out."

"Babe, joking. I'll wear my navy blue floral dress that you love." I say, pulling out a different hanger.

"Flats or heels?" He asks.

"Pumps probably, give a little height. Alright, dibs on shower." I drape the dress over my arm.
~~

"Hey," Robert sets his hand on the small of my back, leaning over and kissing me. "You look amazing."

"Thanks! You don't look too bad, definitely clean up nicely." I say as he pulls open the restaurant door, letting me in first.

"We're here with the Manion party." He says to the hostess.

The girl smiles, grabbing two menus. "Right this way."

"There they are!" His mom squeals when she sees us, immediately pulling me into a hug, kissing my cheek.

"How are you sweetheart? You look great."