21.

St. Emil's Cathedral had never seen a funeral before today, a lot of kids stayed inside the school looking into the backyard with spite. How many friends had they lost? How many of the people they cared about within these walls were left to rot like gum on the bottom of a old desk.

There was no official funeral at the school, but Rome still sat on the wet concrete stale faced.

The chalked up Nemo portrait washed into the dying grass. Apparently a lot of things were about to change, Ashton's family went public with Ashly's murder inside a school. A school meant for reform, a last chance. Calling it a corrupt system designed to feed kids to the wolves.

The headlines were supposed to be huge, though the kids in the building still had no real contact with the outside world.

The public was having a field day with the politicians being exposed as involved, protest to "exonerate" the kids records due to the "torture" they faced. Other protesting to send the kids straight to jail once the names of missing children came out.

No matter what happens, many of the kids understood if they couldn't be tied to any murders, they'd be released as if they graduated peacefully from the school. Given enough money to hold them over for a bit, not long though. Not unless they fought for compensation for their "mental trauma", and many of the kids didn't have good backgrounds to pay for decent lawyers.

Rome simply didn't care, where he went, who he went with. In fact he was kinda hoping they sent him to juvy, he'd probably fight, fuck, and flirt his way into solitary confinement with a bunch of commissary sweets. Living like a forgotten God.

He gave a long sigh and looked toward the angry sky, "You always liked to take the interesting one, you selfish bastard. Your lucky I won't see you in hell."

With a smooth chuckle he lifted himself off the ground, smiling at the glaring faces from the higher levels of the building, "problema? No? Figured. Pussies."

The stroll back to the dorm was dead silent, kids no longer stayed in their rooms. They crowded the walls of the hallways, knowing nobody with common sense would harm them with the ongoing investigations.

The rules that mattered the first week Rome came had good and gone with Ashly.