4

3rd Person POV

Just some stupid girl

a stupid girl...

The car shook over a bump and jolted Will awake. He looked to his left, El was still sleeping peacefully. Her braid had gotten loose and crimped strands stuck to her face.

El's not stupid Will thought, El's nice, she's my sister.

He hated having to remind himself that, because he really did love El. The girl he helped with homework, the girl he introduced good music to, the girl who would get up early and make an extra Eggo for him. They shared stories and drama and gossip with each other. Will loved El dearly, but he was still jealous of her.

Jealous of all the attention she got from Mike, the attention that he wanted to have. He hated his jealousy, but that didn't make it go away. So even though he was excited to see his friends again, he was nervous for the attention that he wouldn't get from Mike. Especially since they had that weird fight.

The fight that left Will wondering did Mike know? Did he know about me?

Will hadn't thought so until then, and he hoped that it wasn't true. If it was, things would never be normal between the two of them again.

Suddenly El was awake, her skin glowed in the sun as she stretched and looked towards Will. She wiped drool off her cheek lazily.

"Will?" Her head was tilted, questioning his gaze at her.

Will smiled, "just thinking," he shrugged.

El nodded and was about to close her eyes again but stopped. "Hey Will?"

"Yeah?"

"What...what happened?" She looked confused, but not feeble.

"What do you mean?" Will's heart rate picked up, fearful of what she was referring to. He knew what she was getting at, but wanted it to be different.

"At school," she was looking at him softer now, "with that boy you had over..."

Will gulped. He knew El would ask at some point. How could she not? It was the whole reason they were leaving the city. Despite how excited she was to go home, there was still the matter of what had happened at school.

He looked down at his quivering hands and gulped. "It was just a fight." He knew El was smart, but he was hoping she would play dumb.

Will looked back up at El. She was studying him, watching the tremble in his hands and the watery look in his eyes. He was ready for her to persist, to try and find the truth, it looked like she wanted to.

But El sighed and nodded.

"Okay," she said.

Will smiled gratefully at her.

"Hey guys," Jonathon was turned around in his seat and looking at the two. He glance from Will to El and gave her a small nod. "We're about fifteen minutes away."

El and Will turned to each other, the same anxious looks shared between them.

---------

Wowza, I'm trying to write the next chapter tonight but I'm not sure if I will be able to.

Why are guys idiots? More importantly, why do they surround each other with idiots?

I'm bingeing stranger things rn and holy shit there are so many moments between Will and Mike that I can use for this book.