7

Will's POV

"Does your mom know?"

"n-no."

"Maybe I should go..."

"Please stay...I really, um, I really like you."

"I like you too Will."

"Will!"

I was shook awake and blearily lifted my head.

"Hey Dustin?" My voice was scratchy from sleep, "what's up?"

Dustin adjusted the cap on his head, "we couldn't find you, the party wants to play some games if you wanna join?"

I nodded my head and got up from the floor.

"Hey, whatcha draw?" Dustin was pointing to the paper on the floor that had fallen from my lap as I stood.

I shrugged, dismissing it.

Dustin nodded and then turned to walk out of my room but stopped at the threshold, "you should give it to Mike, he's been wanting some more drawings for his room."

My entire face felt hot as he said it and then simply walked away.

Friends. Will, I chided myself then promptly left my room.

-----

"Oh come on! Tell us what the city is really like," Max pleaded and tugged at El's arm.

Lucas, who was seated farthest away from Max--on my left-- turned to me. "Yeah. Tell us what city life is like."

I glanced to El across the room. We both shrugged.

"Louder, busier." El was always short and to the point. Our friends were unsatisfied by her answer and turned to me instead.

"Um..." El gave me a supportive glance, she could tell when I got stressed. She was always good at reading body language. "The city is just different, I guess. People are more focused on their own issues and plans for the day. Everyone rushes past you without even looking."

"That must have sucked," Dustin said, "how do you even make friends in a place like that?"

A small smile crept onto my face. "It sounds worse than it was. No one really gives you a second glance in the city, you are free to be who you are with less judgement than you might encounter in a small town."

It was quiet.

Then Mike spoke up.

"You didn't feel like you could be yourself here?" The sadness in his eyes pierced my heart.

I wasn't sure what I was supposed to say, I stayed silent for too long thinking about it. For when I opened my mouth to speak Mike just shook his head and looked away.

"OK," Dustin broke the awkwardness with his booming voice, "time to play some games then."

"What game?" El asked.

Lucas shook his head, "well it has to be D&D since Mike has been whining about playing as soon as Will got home."

My eyes widened at I looked to Mike.

"Wha-no I haven't" Mike argued, he looked like a fish with his mouth opening and closing.

I desperately tried to ignore the heat creeping up my neck.

"Idiot," Max was rolling her eyes, "That game takes hours to set up and play. Besides, El doesn't know how to play." She argued.

"Got a better idea?" Lucas asked, there was an edge t his voice.

Max shrugged, "how about a friendly game of hide and go seek?"

"Because we aren't five," Lucas reasoned.

"I wouldn't mind playing, haven't played that since we were young." Dustin agreed.

"See!" Max countered, "it's a fun game. El's never played it before, we have to expose her!"

"I'm in," I said.

"Me too," Mike agreed.

El just nodded and smiled her agreement.

"Ugh," Lucas groaned, "fine."

"Who's gonna be it?" Dustin asked.

"I vote Lucas," Max said snidely.

"Of course," he muttered.

"I'll be it!" El volunteered.

-----

Another chapter??? WOw

Let me know what you think, any suggestions for improvement?