32

Mike's POV

I was there.

I was at Will's house. Will and El's house. The Byers household.

No matter what I called it didn't change the fact that I was standing pathetically on the doorstep too anxious to knock.

Before I could, the door opened and there stood Jonathon Byers.

"Hi..." I greeted awkwardly.

He didn't invite me in, just stood there staring at me.

"Are you here for El?" he asked wearily.

"Uh....sort of?"

He raised a brow.

"I'm meeting up with El and Will, if that's okay?" 

What did he want? Why was he so intimidating. Older brothers were supposed to be I guess, especially when your dating their younger (adopted) sister. It didn't make things worse that I ws about to break up with said sister just to get with biological younger brother.

"Okay," he finally stepped aside and allowed me in. Thank god.

I walked straight to El's room and knocked on her door.

"El?" 

The door opened.

"Oh hey Mike," she said breezily, "I didn't realize the time, sorry."

I shrugged it away.

"You should come in to speak," her voice was suddenly hushed and urgent. 

I looked around the hallway before stepping in. 

Clear my throat I muttered a pathetic 'hey' and shuffled about five feet away from her. 

She gave a tight smile, "I think we should talk about whatever is going on between us."

I nodded. We did need to talk about it, just that there was going to be nothing between us from now on. 

"So...since I've gotten back it's been kind of...weird."

"Yeah weird."

"and we haven't really talked we just tried to jump back into the way things were before I left."

"Yep, jumped right in."

"and then you kissed me on Monday."

"I did kiss you." 

"but then it just seemed to get weird again-"

"so weird-"

"Will you stop repeating what I'm saying for a second and actually give input!" El snapped.

I sighed, then nodded, then sighed again. "Look El, there's no easy way to say this but-"

"You're breaking up with me?"

She sounded hurt, this was a bad idea, I should've just let her be in the dark.

 God Mike, be strong.

"Uh...yes, I am breaking up with you." Shit shit shit shit shit shit

El looked mad, she started pacing around her room and shaking her head. 

"Dammit Mike!"

I winced.

"I wanted to break up with you!"

"I'm confused." I muttered to myself.

She groaned in frustration. "Can we just agree this was a mutual break up and we are now free to date whoever we chose?"

"Uh...sure?" I was still unsure of what just happened but El seemed to like my answer. She hugged me and then ushered me out of her room.

I looked down the hall to Will's door and smiled. It didn't matter how much El, and girls in general, confused me. I was about to go see Will. 

And probably kiss him. Hopefully...

--------

I know it's late but better than nothing. Anxiety is a bitch at times like this so if anyone needs to vent I'm free.