29

El's POV

Breathe El, just breathe. Don't think about it. Don't even let it enter your mind. You're safe here. You can stay in the bathroom as long as you want.

Jesus I had let everything escalate way too fast. First the embarrassment, then the confusion, then the...revelation?

And now I was at shame. 

I did want to kiss Max, I wanted to kiss her bad. Real bad. 

I wanted to hold her hand and braid her hair and make cookies with her. I wanted to stay up late while she read me her favorite comics and geeked out on her favorite movies. 

Fuck.

I sighed and let my body sink to the floor whilst leaning on the door.

I had hardly sat down when knocking started, I jumped at the feeling.

"El?" Max.

"Yea?" My voice sounded way too pathetic.

"Are you okay?"

"Yea?" Now it was shaking.

Max's sigh sounded heavy and regretful. "Look," she started, "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable or invaded your personal space--"

What?

"-I can get my mom to drive you home if you want."

I stood and opened the door, revealing Max who quickly wiped a tear from her cheek.

"Max?"

She shook her head. I felt the pain and shame that racked her body. My hands found their way to her waist and I pulled her into a hug. My head rested comfortably on her shoulders.

"I like you Max," I confessed.

Her gasp was just as shaky as her body. "What?"

I loosened my grip on her and pulled away so that our faces were inches apart. I leaned forward and gave her a soft and quick kiss on the cheek. Which seemed to set my heart on fire and cause my stomach to start jumping around. 

Max's eyes showed that she was surveying my face, she was confused.

"Do you mean like as in a friend or....?"

Wait what if she didn't like me back and thought I was some creepy weirdo?

"Um...I mean yeah....maybe more? I don't know." I laughed nervously.

Max gulped, "I kinda like you too...I mean as a friend...unless..."

"Unless what?"

She squeezed her eyes shut before blurting, "Unless you like me more than a friend in which case I definitely like you more than a friend."

"Really?" 

Max nodded hesitantly.

"I like you too!" I said gleefully.

She liked me, I liked her. I even got to kiss her cheek. That was all I could think about.

------

Shorter chapter. Their story isn't over yet. Trust me...I have plans.

Yup so peace out girlscouts and wash your hands.