Chapter 5

Miranda reached San Francisco around midnight. She was very tired and very sore. She let the valet park her car and she wearily went into the hotel. She checked in and then followed the bellboy to her room. She barely noticed the suite that looked like a place a princess would stay as she walked in, she just wanted some sleep. She let the bellboy hang up her clothes since he insisted, and after tipping him generously, she collapsed onto the bed, not even bothering to change her clothes, and instantly fell asleep.

Her cell phone woke her. She looked over at the nightstand. The clock read 10:30 a.m. Her purse was on the floor by the bed, so she rolled over and picked the purse up, cussing as she rolled onto her sore arm.

"Hello?" she yawned.

"Good morning detective," she heard.

"Good morning Chief Johnson," she replied.

"I take it you made it to California okay?"

"Yes."

"I happened to watch the news last night, detective. Seems there was a hijacked plane, the same plane you were supposed to be on?"

"Oh?"

"Don't play dumb with me, young lady. You saved them, didn't you? Especially since everyone claimed it was a beautiful brown haired angel," he paused.

"Not sure who you are talking about," she yawned again. "I drove."

"Don't lie to me young lady, what happened?"

"Not much," she sighed. "Just some terrorists wanting to take over the plane. I helped dispatch them, and an officer and a military guy helped too. I didn't do it all, I promise."

"Sure you didn't. Every passenger that was interviewed said that this angel took down all the men, tied them up, even after being shot. Were you shot?"

"Just a scratch," she said, looking at her arm. The blood had soaked through her shirt, but at least it was dry now. It hurt, but she knew she would be okay.

"Detective, what happened to you laying low?"

"I was trying boss, but I couldn't let those terrorists kill everyone on board."

"I know detective, but that was not smart."

"I know sir," she sighed. "Do you still want me here?"

"I do, but please try to lay low from now on, okay?"

"I will, I promise."

"Good girl. Call me after you meet with your contact."

"I will," Miranda replied.

He then hung up, and Miranda shook her head. Worrywart, she thought, as she got up. That was okay, she decided, at least someone worried about her.

She sighed, and climbed out of bed, knowing that feeling sorry for herself wouldn't help any, so she found some clothes, then went and showered, washed her wound, and rebandaged it. She decided for the day, that she would relax and do some sightseeing. She had heard that there were some good museums in town. There was a museum just down the street if she remembered correctly, so she would visit that one first. After breakfast in her room, she walked down to the museum. When she went inside, the first thing she saw was what was to be a big display in the middle of the room. Several empty glass cases sat there, and a big sign read, "Coming soon, the Crown Jewels of Spain." Two men stood by the display cases, whispering. Miranda edged a little closer to hear them while pretending to look at a painting.

"Make sure that there are plenty of guards tonight. We don't want the jewels stolen."

"Yes, sir."