Chapter 39

When Miranda finally awoke, her head pounded like something had run over her. She looked around having no idea where she was at, or how long she had been out. She was lying in a large bed, an I.V. in her arm, but she had on the same clothes she had been in when she had been kidnapped. She moved her ankle. Her gun was still strapped to her leg, which was interesting. Why had that been left there? She then surveyed the room she was in. It was large and oriental looking, she knew it wasn't Tyrone's since she had pretty much destroyed it, so she wondered if she was in Tomori's house, it would only make sense that Tyrone would take over his residence.

She had to come up with a plan of escape. But how? And she would have to find out where she was at, so she could get help. She lay there for a moment, trying to come up with a plan, but she was having a hard time concentrating with her pounding head.

Her door opened then and Tyrone walked in. "Well detective, nice to see you awake, I was getting worried."

She suddenly had a plan.

"Detective?" she whispered.

He walked over to her bed and examined her. "Do you know who I am?" he asked.

She shook her head. "Are you my husband?"

"Not yet," he grinned.

"Why does my head hurt?" she asked.

"We were on our way to Vegas to get married when our helicopter crashed, you have been unconscious for days, don't you remember anything?"

Tears formed in her eyes. "No, and I don't even know my own name."

"It's Miranda," he told her. "Does that help?"

"No, what is your name?"

"Tyrone," he told her.

"Oh."

He sat by her and rubbed the side of her head. She winced.

"That still hurts, doesn't it?"

She nodded. "Yes, very much."

"I'm sorry sweetheart," he told her, and then he kissed her. She kept her face neutral.

He pulled away from her then and she looked at his guard. "Why do you have guards?"

"Because I am a very important man, and I need protection," he told her.

"Oh, are you royalty or something?" she asked.

He grinned at her. "Something like that." He stood up then. "Are you hungry?"

"Yes," she told him.

"I will have something brought to you, but something light. You haven't eaten for a week," he told her.

She nodded at him. He walked to the wall then and pushed a button on an intercom. "Yes, sir?"

"Bring up some soup and bread to our guest," he said.

"Yes, sir."

He then walked back to the bed and pulled a chair over so he could watch Miranda.

"Do you remember anything at all?" he asked her, watching her to see if she was lying.

"No, not anything," she sighed. "I'm not sure where I am, or how long we have been together," she started to cry again.

"Don't worry sweetheart, I will help you out if I can," he assured her.

She nodded through her tears. "I will ask later, my head hurts too much right now to concentrate on questions."

"That is fine sweetheart, we have all the time in the world," he told her.

An oriental woman then walked through the door with a tray. She set the tray on Miranda's lap after Tyrone had helped her to sit up.

"It smells wonderful," Miranda told the woman.

The woman smiled at her then left the room.

Miranda ate slowly so the soup wouldn't bother her stomach. After she was finished, Tyrone took her tray and set it onto the nightstand. He stood. "Rest my dear. We will talk later," he told her.

Miranda nodded and lay back down. Tyrone leaned down and kissed her cheek. "If you feel up to it tonight, you can eat with me in the dining room and wear your new evening dress."

"Okay," she smiled at him.

He grinned at her and left the room, his guard following. But she knew that the man would be stationed outside her door, so she couldn't escape, at least not yet, she was too worn out. It didn't take her too long and she was asleep.

When she awoke Tyrone was sitting by her bed whispering loudly into his cell phone. She kept her eyes closed, feigning sleep as he talked into his phone.

"No, I told you one billion, that chip is worth at least that much. If you won't pay it, I will find someone who will. Fine, come tomorrow then, and come alone. No, of course, I won't come alone, I don't trust you. Fine bring your people then, but if you even so much as threaten me I will kill you. Good, I am glad we have an understanding. Goodbye."

He hung up and then turned to watch Miranda who seemed to be asleep still.

He touched her shoulder. "Miranda, sweetheart," he whispered.

She turned and muttered something.

"Miranda," he repeated.

She opened her eyes, trying to focus on him. He smiled down at her.

"Do you feel up to eating in the dining hall?"

She looked up at him, then slowly sat up, holding her head to stop the pounding.

"I think so," she murmured. "Just give me a few minutes to clean up."

"I will send someone in to help you," he told her.

"No, that is okay, I will be fine. I would like a bath if that is all right."

"Of course, there will be someone outside your door if you need anything, should we meet in an hour?" he asked.

"Okay," she told him.

He kissed her, smiled and left the room.

She stood, and had to hold onto the back of the chair to keep from falling over. She was very dizzy, she just hoped she could make it down the stairs. She wandered then into the luxurious bathroom and started a warm bath and she wondered if Cole was still looking for her.