Chapter 29

When she came to, Joe was leaning over her. "Thank goodness Miranda, I was getting worried, the ambulance will be here in a moment," he told her.

"Joe, did you catch who hit me?"

"No, I heard you get hit though, and after not being able to talk to you, I ran over here, but they were long gone. It looks like they were looking for something. Your place is a mess."

"I noticed. But why didn't they kill me if it was Tyrone?"

"It probably wasn't him, or he would have," he frowned.

"Good thing I put everything in my safe," she mumbled. The pounding in her head was really bad.

"You've got a nice lump, I think they hit you with something hard, whatever it was, was pretty wicked," he frowned, trying to keep her talking, so she wouldn't black out again.

A knock sounded on the door then.

"Come in!" Joe yelled.

The paramedics walked in then with a stretcher, and kneeling by her they got to work.

"Did you see who hit you?" Joe asked as two more officers walked in.

"Hey Oscar and Randy, check the apartment for prints, and anything missing," Joe told them.

The officers nodded in concern as they watched Miranda being loaded onto a stretcher.

"I already called the Chief, he canceled our flights," Joe told her. "You know you won't be able to fly with a concussion, and we are hiding you here in town somewhere until you can fly," he told her.

She nodded. "Joe, will you go to my safe and get my valuables out? Bring them with you, I don't want them stolen."

"What's in there that they would want?"

"Just the necklace and earrings that Tyrone gave me."

"They wouldn't be after those would they?"

"I doubt it, they might be worth some money, but not worth enough to hurt someone over."

"You're right, I will go get them, and make you wear them just in case that was what they were after, and I will meet you at the hospital," he told her and standing he headed to her room.

He was back a second later.

"Code?" he asked.

"My birthday," she told him.

He nodded and disappeared again.

By the time the paramedics had her loaded into the ambulance, Joe was headed back out, and following behind in his car, leaving the two officers to lock up when they were done.

The Chief met the ambulance at the hospital and followed the paramedics in.

He frowned at Miranda, "You haven't even left yet, and you are getting hurt already."

"It wasn't my fault, I surprised whoever it was."

"Did you get a look at him?"

"No, I had no idea anyone was in the house. I thought they had trashed it and left."

He nodded and he and Joe watched the paramedics wheel her into x-ray.

Minutes later the doctor came out and walked to the Chief.

"Chief Johnson, your detective has a minor concussion. I would like to keep her overnight for observation."

"Okay, and I will make sure she has someone stay with her."