Chapter 32

A while later Joe walked back out of his room. "I am going to go get some lunch."

"You're hungry?" Miranda asked, surprised.

"Of course, aren't you?"

"Men, bottomless pits," she said, rolling her eyes at him. "Is it safe to leave Joe?"

"Probably, we figure Tyrone probably headed back to California anyway. Besides he doesn't know what I look like," he pointed out.

He then left. Miranda closed her eyes and leaned her head against the couch while they waited for Joe. Aaron made light conversation with her until Joe walked back in the door with a few bags. Miranda stood and followed him and Aaron into the kitchen.

"Gees Joe, did you buy out the restaurant?" she asked as he unloaded several containers of Chinese food.

"I was hungry," he grinned.

"I can tell," Miranda grinned as the other two joined them.

"Wow, that is a lot of food," Becky commented.

"That's what I said," Miranda replied.

She and Becky took what they want and then the men loaded up on food. By the time they were through there was not much left.

"You guys are unbelievable," Becky laughed, "I cannot believe how much food you just ate, especially after that big breakfast."

"Hey, we're guys, we're supposed to eat like this," John grinned.

"Good thing you are so active," Miranda laughed.

"Yeah, good thing," he agreed.

After they had eaten Miranda stood. "I am going to go take a nap."

Joe stood with her and followed her to her room.

She sat on the bed and looked up at Joe. "Why did you follow me?"

He sat down in a chair by her bed. "Just making sure you don't escape," he grinned.

"Why would I now? I saw how ticked off you were, I wouldn't dare escape."

"Sure you wouldn't. I saw how ticked off you were also," he pointed out.

"Fine," she said, and laid down, "but don't be too bored, and she laid down, pulled the covers up, and was soon asleep.

The ringing of a cell phone woke her. Joe leaned over her. "The boss," he whispered, watching her anxiously.

She took the phone. "Hi, Chief."

"Hi yourself Captain, how are you feeling?"

"Better, but not quite there yet."

"I don't want you to leave there until you are healed."

"Yes, sir."

"I mean it Miranda, I am worried about you."

"I know sir, but I don't want to sit here going stir crazy, I want to be out there bringing in Tyrone."

Joe winced, hoping she wouldn't give him away.

"I know, but not until you are healed."

"Yes, sir."

"Make Joe go and get you some movies or whatever so you won't be bored, okay?"

"Okay," she sighed.

"I know being inactive is driving you nuts Miranda, but you'll be out there soon enough, okay?"

"I know sir."

"Good. Take it easy, and I will call you later."

"Okay," she said and after telling him goodbye she hung up.

She handed the phone back to Joe. "This one's yours," he said and put it on her bedside table. "We got you a new phone so that your old one couldn't be traced, and thanks for not spilling your guts," he said.

"You are welcome, Joe. But I hate sitting here letting someone else do my job."

"I know that, and I don't blame you. But be patient, in a few days this should be over."

"I know," she sighed.

She stood then. "Well, I guess my nap is over, what time is it?"

"Time for dinner," he grinned.

"More food Joe? Are you ever full?"

"Never," he grinned and helped her out the door and to the kitchen, where dinner was waiting for them.

"Sleep okay?" Becky asked.

"Yes, thank you."

"Are you all right?" she asked Miranda.

"No. I have a bad headache."

"Maybe you should call it an early night," Joe said, looking at her in concern.

"I think I will. I still have some of that painkiller, that will help me sleep."

"That is a good idea, so eat, and head to bed," Joe told her.

She nodded and ate what she could. She then pushed her plate aside. Joe helped her stand.

"You don't look so well," he mentioned, seeing her pale face.

"I just need rest, Joe."

He nodded and helped her to her room after bidding everyone else goodnight.

Joe walked her into her room. Then he grabbed one of her painkillers and watched her take it. Satisfied that she would sleep, he headed out of the room to stand guard.

As soon as he left, Miranda spit the pill out she had been hiding under her tongue, and then climbed under the covers, making sure she had her gun, her phone, and some cash from her purse. She would wait until everyone was asleep, and she knew that would happen. Joe would not be able to stay awake all night.

So she waited. Not too many hours later she heard Joe snoring softly outside the door. So getting out of bed, she snuck to the window, slid it open quietly, and snuck out into the night. She hid among some trees to make sure she wasn't followed, then made her way down the road. She took out her phone and called a taxi to come and get her. A few minutes later she saw him and he stopped. "What are you doing way out here at this time of night?" the cabbie asked her.

"My car broke down, and it's too late to call for a tow truck," she told him.

"So where to?"

She gave him her home address, and he dropped her off there. She ran inside her apartment, grabbed traveler's checks, a few fake i.d's, a blonde wig, a black wig, and makeup to disguise herself along with colored contacts, shoved them all into a bag, called another taxi, dressed in disguise, and after the taxi showed up, she had him take her to the bus station.

Once at the bus station, she bought a ticket to Denver to throw Joe and the Chief off her trail, then she hailed another taxi to take her to the airport. She was able to get a standby flight on an airline after paying with cash, and she was soon in the air.

When she reached California, it was nearing dawn. She walked into the car rental place and rented a car under her false i.d., then headed to a hotel. She checked in, then decided to go shopping. She would need some different clothes for her little escapade. She would show everyone just how vulnerable her decoy really was.