Chapter 18

Her heart was still pounding in her throat as Alex pulled through the gates of Tyrone's mansion.

The doors of the car were opened and Miranda was helped out. She limped to the door, where Tyrone stood, waiting for her.

"What happened?" he asked, leading her inside.

"I shot an FBI agent, and someone shot back," she said as he led her to a chair.

He sat her down. "An FBI agent?" he said in shock.

"Yes," Alex nodded. "I saw her kill him."

"Wow, I am impressed. I think I will like having you work for me. I will call the doctor and have him stitch you up," he told her.

She nodded as he leaned down and picked up the briefcase of money.

He then handed it to her. "500 grand, it's yours for a job well done."

"Thanks, but I don't need it."

"How about I open an account for you, then you can have access to it whenever you want?"

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Of course," he grinned and then nodded at one of his men who took the briefcase and left the room.

Tyrone moved her to a couch in his sitting room to wait until the doctor showed up.

A doctor walked into the room minutes later and stitched her leg with glue. "It looks like the bullet just skimmed your leg. I will glue it and then bandage it. Keep the wound clean and dry," he told her. She nodded at him, he left then, leaving her with some painkillers.

She stood then. "I need to go change so I can back to my place."

"It's late, you can spend the night," he told her.

"No, that's okay, I want to go back to my place, I will sleep better there."

"Very well, and thank you, Lara, what you did tonight was exemplary."

"Thank you," she said, as he nodded at Alex.

"Take her upstairs to change and then take her back to the hotel."

Why was she not surprised that he knew where she was staying.

"Of course boss," Alex said, and scooped Miranda into his arms, making her gasp.

He chuckled. "Don't want you hurting your leg any more than needed," he said, carrying her up the stairs. He then deposited her outside the door of the guest room.

"Change, then I will take you back."

She nodded. "Thanks, Alex."

"Anytime," he said gruffly, but he was hiding a smile.

She closed the door and quickly changed, grimacing as she put her jeans back on. Once she was dressed, she opened the door and once again, Alex picked her up and took her down the stairs. He set her on her feet by the front door.

Tyrone was standing by the door and noticed Miranda had the red dress in her hands.

"Keep it," he smiled. "You looked stunning in it."

"Thanks," she smiled.

"I'll call you in a few days. I want you to take it easy, and we need to lie low."

She nodded. "Of course, sir," then headed outside and climbed into the limo. Alex closed it behind her and then climbed in to take her back to the hotel.

Once again, Alex was quiet on the ride back, but he kept glancing at Miranda in the rearview mirror. She looked to be in pain, and he could tell she was exhausted, but he didn't know what to say. He wasn't paid to chat, so he kept his mouth shut.