Chapter 40

Cole hadn't even begun to give up searching for Miranda. They had all been searching for her, especially when they found out the other body in the helicopter was male, and the blood leading away from the crash was Miranda's. They had determined that she had been carried away from the sight by Tyrone. They didn't know how gravely injured she was, but Cole was hoping that she was okay. He hadn't had much sleep because he was so stressed. All of the men looked terrible as the stress wore them down. Chief Stratton had put four of his men on unpaid leave for a month for letting the dark car pass, knowing without a doubt that it had been Tyrone's.

In the tub, at Tomori's place, Miranda soaked. It felt so good to have a bath. She shampooed her hair very carefully, and when she was through she got out and then got ready for the evening. When she was ready for her dress, she went to the closet and pulled out a shimmering blue body forming concoction. She sighed as she put it on. She looked really good and she wished she was dressing up for Cole, but in order for her plan to work, she needed to play the victim for a bit longer.

Two men stood by her door and ogled at her as she walked out.

"Good evening gentlemen," she smiled up at them. "Would you mind walking me to dinner? I am not sure I could make it down the stairs on my own."

"Of course," one of them told her. She took both of their arms and they led her to the dining hall.

Tyrone stood as she entered. "Miranda you look absolutely beautiful," he smiled at her. He took her hand from the guards, then took her to her seat. He pulled her seat out for her and helped her sit. He nodded at a woman who stood in the door. "We are ready to eat."

She nodded and walked out of the door to bring them their food.

Chief Stratton sat his desk at that moment, pondering. "Maybe we should broadcast on national television that Miranda is missing. I know it would expose her, but it might help someone identify her and bring her back."

"Too risky," Tyler pointed out. "If Tyrone believes that we think she is dead, he might slip and make a mistake, if he knows that we know she is alive, he could kill her."

The Chief nodded. "You are right of course Tyler. But what happens if he doesn't make a mistake and lets us know where he is? If we wait another day or another week, she could be dead, if she isn't already."

"I doubt she is," Tyler said, looking at the two men. "I think Tyrone still has her, and he hasn't used that fake chip yet, or we would be able to trace him. When he uses it then we can find him and hopefully Miranda."

"Do you think Tyrone still has her earrings?" the Chief asked.

"I hope so Chief. If he lets her wear them again. I have had the transmission going all week. All it has been so far is static, but I am still holding out hope."

"So we sit and wait, and hope Tyrone gives her the earrings and he uses the chip," Cole said.

Tyler nodded. "Yes, and let's give him a few more days Chief, I don't want her face exposed nationally if we don't have too."

He nodded at Tyler. "You are right, but this is getting very frustrating not being able to find her."

"I just hope that we can find her," Tyler said, "she is probably injured, or she would have figured out a way to contact someone."

Cole nodded feeling sick to his stomach. He had hardly ever prayed in his life, but the last week he had been doing a lot of praying. He had to get Miranda back.

"If she is dead, Tyrone will pay," the Chief said vehemently.

"Yes he will, he had better find a good place to hide because when we are through with him, there won't be anything left," Cole growled.

"Even the President would go after him," Tyler grinned. "I know he sure liked her."

The Chief looked up at Cole. "I called him a while ago. He was upset that he had not been informed earlier. He is having any available agency look for her."

"He gave them all her description?" Cole asked.

"Yes, and if they don't turn up anything, then we will have to turn to the media."