Chapter 30

A few hours later, dinner was ordered, and after they ate, they headed outside. Joe looked around to make sure there weren't any suspicious cars, then Miranda snuck into the back seat and laid down. Joe and Chief Johnson got into the front seat, and they pulled out onto the road.

"Stay down Miranda," the Chief warned her.

"Of course sir," she said and did so. She was tired anyway, and her head was really hurting. So she closed her eyes and let the sound of the car lull her to sleep.

When they stopped, Joe walked around and opened Miranda's door. She sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "Tired?" he asked.

"Yes," she replied.

"We'll get you settled in so you can sleep," he promised and helped her out.

Two cars sat out in front of the house, and the lights were on when they walked up the front stairs.

Three uniformed officers were inside when they entered. Miranda didn't recognize any of them.

The Chief introduced them to Miranda.

"Captain I would like you to meet John, Becky, and Aaron. They are from the Denver P.D."

Miranda shook hands with the three officers.

"It is a true honor to meet you," John told her, "I have heard quite the stories about you," he grinned.

"All good I hope," she smiled back.

"You had better believe it," he told her.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Detective," Becky spoke up.

"Are you hungry?" John asked her.

"No, we just ate," Miranda told him. She sat down on a floral couch, setting her luggage by her then she looked up at Joe. "Are you staying?"

"Yes, but the Chief is not."

"Of course not, he has better things to do than to babysit me," she grinned.

"Too true," Joe nodded, looking at Chief Johnson, who was watching Miranda in concern.

"So how long am I staying?" she asked the Chief.

"Until you are better."

"So tomorrow then?" she grinned.

"Think again Captain, maybe in three days," he told her.

"Okay," she sighed heavily.

"Call me tomorrow on your cell Miranda; we'll be able to tell you if we lifted any prints from your apartment."

"Okay Chief," she said and stood to see him off. "Thanks for taking care of me."

"Of course, you are the best I have, and I have to take care of the best," he grinned, and hugging her, he wished her goodnight then headed home.

Aaron set the alarm system after the Chief left and then Miranda grabbed her suitcases and headed to her room. "I am tired, I will wish all of you a goodnight," she told them.

They nodded at her and she went to close the door behind her, but Becky walked in after her.

"Just making sure you will be comfortable," she said. She pointed out where the bathroom was next door, then Becky looked at Miranda. "Do you need help unpacking?"

"No thanks, I won't unpack because I don't intend on staying for more than a day or two."

"Okay, I am right next door if you do need anything," she offered.