Chapter 8

Back in his office, the chief closed the door and sat down to find the number he needed. He found it and dialed.

"Georgetown, P.D."

"I need to speak with your Chief, this is Chief Stratton of the San Francisco Police Department."

"I am sorry sir, but Chief Johnson isn't here."

"I want his home phone. It is urgent."

"Yes sir," the woman said and recited a number.

The chief then hung up and dialed the number.

"Hello?" came a groggy voice.

"Chief Johnson?"

"Yes, who is this?"

"I am Chief Stratton of the San Francisco P.D. I need your help."

Chief Johnson sat up in bed, his wife mumbling in her sleep.

He put on a robe and headed into the sitting room so he could talk. "What do you need my help with?"

"We have a young lady here, she was shot on the plane the other day when it was hijacked. I was wondering if you could find some information about her."

"What is her name?"

"Mandy Winters."

Chief Johnson frowned. What was Miranda up to?

"I am sorry Chief, but why do you need to know about her?"

"Well, she came here and her and my detective seemed to have hit it off, but she was hurt tonight, some goon tried to kill her."

The Chief gasped. "Is she going to be okay?"

"She will be. He just opened her gunshot wound, but the doctor found some interesting scars on her."

"Oh?"

"Yes. Two gunshot scars and another scar that she claims her ex-boyfriend gave her. Do you know who I am talking about?"

The Chief sighed. "Chief Stratton,"

"Marlon, please."

"Marlon, I have some things to tell you that must not go beyond your mouth, understood?"

"I do."

"Good. That young lady is Miranda Dylan. She is my best detective. I sent her there undercover to bring down that international car theft ring."

"I see, so why wasn't I informed?"

"Because I was told not to tell anyone. Only the FBI knows she is there."

"Okay, that makes sense."

"You must not tell anyone, got it?"

"I won't, Johnson. I don't want to put her life in danger. We will just stick with the crazy ex-boyfriend thing for now."

"That would be best. She will be okay though?"

"Yes, just fine, and let me tell you, she is something else. My detective told me what she did on the plane the other day, taking down five of the hijackers, getting shot, and still plowing on. She is an impressive young lady."

"She is, she is the best I have."

"Want to loan her to me?" Chief Stratton joked.

"Sorry Marlon, she is mine," Chief Johnson laughed.

"Very well. I will try and keep her safe."

"That would be appreciated, and have her call me when she can."