Chapter 25

It was late afternoon when Miranda finally woke up, and only because her phone was ringing. She answered it groggily. "Hey, Chief Johnson."

"Hey, Miranda, nice job on that whole bust. I am extremely proud of you young lady."

"Thanks, Chief."

"I want you home in the next day or two, okay?"

"Okay, I understand."

"Stratton told me he wants you to stay, but I don't want to give up my Captain Detective."

"Captain, sir?"

He chuckled. "Yes. You deserve it, young lady."

"Thanks, Chief. I'll let Stratton know I need to come home."

"I already told him. Want me to get you a flight?"

"Yes please, if you would. Two days from now?"

"I'll see what I can do," he said and hung up.

Her phone rang a few minutes later. "Chief?"

"Hey Miranda, look, the only flight out that the airline has is one in a few hours."

"What? Why?"

"Some convention going on in town in a few days, I'm sorry. Are you ready to come home?"

"Not really," she sighed, but I guess I have no choice. Will you call Joe and let him know?"

"I will, sorry about this Miranda."

"It can't be helped. I'll see you later Chief."

"Okay."

He hung up then and Miranda sighed again. She didn't want to leave so soon. She really wanted to see Cole first. She dialed Cole's number. It went straight to voicemail.

"Cole, it's me, Mandy. Look, my boss just called and I've got to fly home tonight. Call me if you can. I would like to see you before I go, and I want to stay in touch." She didn't know what else to say so she just said, "Bye Cole, take care." She then hung up the phone and began to pack. She then called Joe. "Where are you?"

"Just two doors down, why?"

"Boss wants us home already."

"Yeah, he just called and let me know. Are you ready to go home?"

"Not really, but work calls I suppose."

"I know. I'm ready whenever you are."

"Okay, see you in a bit."

She then hung up once more.

A knock sounded on her door then and she opened it to see Tyler and Chad.

Tyler walked in and sat down on Miranda's bed. "You don't want to come work with us do you?" he asked.

"No thanks Tyler, but if you are ever my way on a case I would love to work with you."

"Or if we are close by? We really liked working with you."

"Yes, I would be glad to help you whenever you need me."

"So, where are you headed?" Tyler asked, seeing her packed bags.

"Back home. My chief has a flight out for Joe and me in a few hours."

"Does Cole know?"

Miranda shook her head. "I left him a message. I was hoping to see him again before I left, but I don't know if that is going to happen."