32

Alex POV

Holland left camp early to return to her club, but her small documentary drops today. So we all decided to meet in one room and watch it. Making my way to Tobin's room, I see the girls trying to gather around and find somewhere to sit. Pillows and blankets being used. Tobin setting up the TV. I sit an empty spot on the bed, before someone else would take it. After mins of waiting, the rest of the team comes in just in time. We watch a minute of commercials, until they start the documentary.

"I'm excited!" Tobin comments, everyone agreeing. Getting comfortable as possible because the documentary is 45 mins long.

It's starts with a video of Holland getting ready for an interview, shes adjusting her mic. She walks over to the seat and sits down. The lights shining on her. She chuckles "it feels like I'm about to confess to a crime" she says making the crew chuckle. The video fades into a picture of baby Holland, and her mom talks about young Holly.

"She was a cute chubby baby" Mal comments cooing at the sight of a video, Holly taking her what I assume are her first steps. The video transitions to Holly's sisters, her oldest sister. We've met her, she was at the final in 2015 of the World Cup. She was in tears when her sister ran to her, you can tell they are very close. They showcased a picture of Holland wearing Adelines high school home jersey.

"I want to be like her, she's my role model" She says about Holland, wiping tears from her face. You hear a few 'awws' in the room.

After her family talks about her, it starts to transition to us. Our games, good highlights. Even bad ones like the Olmpics in Rio. They show Holland's best saves, not just nation highlights. High school, college, and club saves. Quite a few we've never seen. They show clips of Holland in college, with teammates and just her being incredibly silly.

"I can take Alex on 1v1" she says filled with cockyines. It looks like we were just done with a scrimmage, because you can see trainers picking cones up and gathering balls.

"She scored on you like 4 times today" Ashlyn comments, making those in the video chuckle. I can here my laugh also, and Holly playfully pushes Ash's face away from the camera.

Not just ones of her in college, but also the nationl team. Mostly ones with her main group of friends, Tobin, Ashlyn, Kelly, Mal, Carli, Becky and Me. The music changes into something more serious.

"Are you upset that it took this long for you to finally be a starting goalkeeper for your country?"

"Uh I mean, who wouldn't be? We still had Hope, it would be the best option to play her instead of a player with no experience whatsoever" she talked about Hope in the highest regard. She's always had good sportsmanship.

"You've been on this team for a decade, finally getting the time you deserve. The question we all want an answer too is.. is retirement around the corner for you?"

"I was just talking about this with my sister the other day, and it gets me emotional just thinking about it. We were like 'when will it feel like the right time, and will I be able to rest with no regrets or grudges' it's definitely been a thought in discussion."

The video pauses on her talking, to fade into a video of her first game where she played all 90 for us. The camera is back on Holland, who looks like she's trying so hard not to cry.

"Soccer has always been my first love, it still is. I've chosen this sport too many times to count over family. I don't regret not one minute playing, the pain and sweat.. the grind, it's been bittersweet. I know I'm not going to play forever, my body physically can't take it as much as it use too. Dawn and I have talked about my constant shoulder strains, and a couple of years ago. I had a shoulder tear, and so it's been a lot of check up on it. It takes a lot of mentality to be in the position I am, but I'm not in my best physical form. I've toughed out games in pain, the team not knowing. Jill, Dawn and I have discussed a lot about it. I'm ready for this tournament, I know I'm getting criticized. But what a perfect time to drop this documentary months before the World Cup. I want people to know this because I want to be honest as possible with this incredible journey I've been through. It's been the best times, Soccer has taught me more about life than anything. I gave it my all, and I still am. Which makes this goodbye so hard, but it's the right time. I wouldn't change this career, not one bit-"

"Yo what the fuck is she saying?!" Someone yelled. Everyone fixated on the TV. In surprise and shock.

"To the beautiful game of football, to my greatest love. I gave you my soul, mind and body. I've fully committed to you, giving you my all. My strength, and my life. I'll take the criticism, the losses and the wins. You made me who I am today," the video transitions to videos of Holland and dawn, Holly on a hospital bed being looked over by the doctor. A guitar playing for the background music, making it more emotional.

"I'm not ready. I'm not ready to say goodbye, I've felt like I still have a lot to give but I know that I have to let you go because my body can't take it anymore."

'I'll look back but I'll be alright
I know it hurts, I knew it would
Stay forever if I could'

Tears running down my face, and Tobin pulls me into a hug. Everyones quiet, but you can hear sniffles. They show a couple more highlights, and more of our hugs. One in particular, our hug when we won the world cup in 2015.

'We struck gold it wasn't luck
It was blood sweat and tears in us

Tomorrow tells me this must end
So drink with me my oldest friend..'

"Thank you, to my greatest love and my hardest goodbye"

'And, raise your glass
Every time that we...'

The video ends with Holland walking to stands, the crowd cheering. She waves as she walks to the tunnel. Taking her gloves off. What did I just watch....

"We need to talk to her!" Kelly shouts, and pulls out her phone to dial. She hurriedly tries to type but her fingers are wet from wiping her eyes out. We're all wiping our eyes, trying to process what just happened.

Holland POV:

I didn't want to watch my documentary with my club team because I knew it would be emotional. For me personally, and the only person I want to hold as I watch it. Is my best friend, Alex.

As the video ends shortly, everyones just quiet. No one was expecting to hear about my retirement. There was a lot of decision making that was brought to this. Between Dawn, Jill and I. We felt it was best for my body. Jill gave me this last opportunity to play in a world cup before retirement. It was a secret kept between us for a very long time, my shoulder can't take it anymore.

"Holland.." Lucy speaks up from beside me, and I shake my head letting the tears roll down my face.

....