41

"Up" I stretch my hand up, and then bring it down. They grab my forearm, and help me rotate it gently.

"Does it hurt?" I shake my head, and they talk to Dawn. I sit down in the seat in front of my cubby. Most of the team is changing into their gear, while I'm still here like a sitting duck. Still in my regular clothes, I doubt I'm going to play today. Eventually I'll have to change out, but it's going to suck not playing in this game. 2016.. when we played against Sweden, I wanted to start but Hope got it of course and we ended up losing to penalties.

"Alright Girls, listen up for the line up" Jill calls out, and she holds a peice paper up to read from. "We'll be in a 4-3-3 formation, Dunny, Becky, Abby, and Kelly for our backline. Rose, Lindsey and Sam, and up front Alex, Pinoe and Tobin." And she looks at me "and Holland"

I've never felt so excited and nervous at the same time. I waste no time to change into my gear, and head out with the team.

"How are you feeling?" Christen asks me, as we walk out.

"Anxious, but we got this. I think we were sorta passed the whole Rio Olympics. It's time for redemption instead, I mean look at us. We're the closest we've ever been as a team." I tell her as we finally make it to the field, people barley start coming.

Time skip to kick off.

"Before we go out there, I'd like to say something" I tell them as we're gathered around with our hands in the middle. I feel my shoulder being squeezed, and I know it's from Christen. To show she's got me, and I send a quick smile her way.

"I've been pretty shitty towards a lot of you the past week, and I'm sorry. We're suppose to be a team, and I've been a shitty teammate. I failed to realize, that I'm not alone. We're all going through something during this  tournament, cristimze being one of them." I look at Christen "some of us were hoping to have special loved ones here" and then to make it less depressing I look at Rose "we're sorry Wilma couldn't be here, shes with us in spirit" and Sam and Sonnett playfully clap and rub Rose's back.
"Quite a few of us, it's our first world cup and we're pretty nervous. Unlike those who are here for the first time,.. it's also the last one for some of us" I look at Carli, and she nods respectfully towards me. "2016 we lost in the quarterfinal against Sweden, but now it's 2019 and as far as I'm aware of.. we're the greatest team in sports history. They will remember this match, because this game is redemption. To show that 2016 is behind us, this our game, this our World cup. Right!?" I yell and they yell back, and we do our cadence before we disperse and we start to walk to our positions.

We passed the 1st half quite well, Lindsey scored a fantastic goal from that corner kick. There wasn't much threat on my side of the feild, until the 21st min when Blackstenius was given a cross from Jakobsson just before the 18 yard box, perfectly onside. Making her way towards me and shooting only half a feet beside me but enough for me to get my hands on it.

"How's your shoulder feeling?" Dawn asks me as we hydrate, and I give her a thumbs up as I chug what's left of my water. So far I haven't felt any pain, which is good and it means I wouldn't be lying. She takes my answer nonetheless and she goes back to checking up on my other teammates.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

I nod, and I bring Chris into a hug. Which turned into a group hug as people joined us. It was only meant to be Chris and I but I much appreciate everyone else at the same time.

"Alright ladies let's go" Jill calls out, and we start heading out the locker room.

"Let's go!!" I scream from the post, and it riles up the fans behind me. I start clapping my gloves, motivating them more.

"You're not going to be able to speak tomorrow if you keep screaming like that" Abby yells towards me, making both of us laugh. The ball is quickly put between the forwards, to start the 2nd half.

After 5 mins, Tobin scored. I screamed and jumped of happiness. I'm sure going to miss this when all of this is all over.

4 mins after Tobin's goal, Sweden was rewarded a free kick but luckily it went over the net. I was fortunate enough to keep a clean sheet. We won 2-0, we didn't necessarily have to win this game but beating Sweden was deeper then being at the top of our group stage. Until then Sweden, until then.

When the final whistles blown, I give out a relaxed sigh. Truth is, I know I had this game..I just wasn't sure if my shoulder did. I take my gloves off, and I walk to the stands where I see a few USA fans. A little girl with an Alex Morgan Jersey, who looks about the age of 15. She notices me walking towards her and her parents take their phones out to record. I slightly jump over the ad screens to get to her. She covers her mouth, tears threatening to fall. I hand her my gloves, that I in fact already signed ahead of time for this.

"Oh my gosh, thank you so much" she can't even speak, as her voice cracks. I grab her hand and squeeze it. "This means so much to me, you have no idea" she tells me

"You mean more to me" I tell her, and I give her hand one last squeeze before I let it go and walk to my teammates.