Chapter One

"Adam, can you get me some more glasses?" I ask my coworker Adam. I currently work at a really nice bar as a bartender for about two months now. I do make good money with tips. I started working here right when I turned eighteen. Adam and I have been friends for about two years, which is how I heard about the job opening.  

"Yes, sweetheart, give me a second." He tells me before going to the back to get me more cups. "Can you get table six  their drinks? I got to call Aaron in." Aaron is his boyfriend who is also a bartender.

I nod at him, heading over to the table of boys and handing them their drinks. 

"Here you go." I put the drinks down in front of the four boys. They're not much older than me. About the same age as my brother. As I go to walk away, the boy on the end pulls me closer and tucks a paper into the pocket of my shorts. 

"Call me." He says with a wink, letting me go. Laughing with his friends. I hold myself from making a face and walk back to the bar. 

"Alright, I'm heading home. Do you need anything before I go?" I ask Adam who is making a few drinks.

"Nah, I'm good. Have fun at home." He gives me a side hug.

"Considering all my brother's friends are home, I will," I tell him as I'm leaving, giving him a quick wink. 

I've always liked Alex's friends. But him being the overprotective brother he is, I'm off limits, and so are his friends.  

I walk into the front door of the house, putting my keys on the table. I walked up the stairs to get a new shirt on before I joined any of the boys. As I walk out of my room, I bump into Hayden Alex's best friend.

"Hayden, wait up," I say loudly, making him turn around and look at me. 

"Evelyn. I haven't seen you in forever." He says, turning around and leaning on the door.

"Yeah, well, you haven't been home in a couple of years," I tell with my arms crossed. 

 "Well, you've for sure grown since then." He says, looking at my body before looking back at my eyes. 

God, even just the way he looks at me makes my body tingle. I used to be in love with him two years ago. He has always been that player boy he is. You know the bad one you want but know won't change. I was determined to prove there was good in him, though. Obviously, that didn't work since I got turned down and left behind as he went back to college. 

"Where is Alex?" I ask him, completely ignoring the grown comment. 

"Outside, we made a fire." He says before following me downstairs and outside. I grab a beer from the cooler by the back door and take a seat next to Josh, and Hayden sits across from me. 

"Hey," I say, taking a drink from my beer. 

"Wow, little Evelyn drinking a beer," Josh says from beside me. 

"Oh hush," I say, sticking my tongue out at him.  Josh has always been the one I've playfully flirted with. He is definitely the jokester of the group. 

"She's not so little anymore, Josh," Alex says, sitting down beside me. 

"Trust me, we know." His other friend Drew says with a wink towards me. 

Alex gives him a look like, shut the hell up. "What's that hanging out of your shorts?"

"Oh, some guy's number," I tell him before taking it out of my pocket. Josh grabs it out of my hand and reads it out loud.  

"Call me for a good time? Damn, I didn't think you were that type of girl Lynn." Josh says with a laugh.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Alex says, being all big brotherly. 

"Oh, wouldn't you like to know, Josh?" I reply with a wink. 

"Dude, if your sister wasn't your sister, I would totally be smashing," Drew says with a sigh.

"Ew, stop," Alex says, smacking him in the arm. Making me laugh. 

"So Hayden, you back from college?" I ask him, making eye contact with him. 

"Yeah, just finished. Why miss me?" He says with a smirk drinking his beer. 

"No," I say quietly, looking away from him. "Do you guys want to watch a movie?" 

"Yeah, let me put the fire out. One of the boys will help you set up." 

I grab josh by his arm and pull him in to help me. "Let me, my lady." He tells me while he sets up the TV for the movie.  

"Why, thank you, kind sir," I say with a fake curtsy. 

We sit on the couch and wait for the rest of the boys to come in. "You smell like beer," Josh says, sitting next to me. 

"Yeah, well, I work at a bar," I tell him, laying back on the couch.

He plops down on the couch next to me and looks at me weirdly. "You have an eyelash on your cheek. He leans forward and brushes it off while smiling.

The boys walk in with Josh leaning into me.

"What the fuck is going on here?" Alex says crossing his arms looking at us. 

"Nothing, I promise." Josh says his arms up in surrender. "She had an eyelash on her face." 

"And she couldn't have gotten it herself?" Alex rolls his eyes and makes me move to a different couch away from josh.

I mouth put a sorry to Josh and sit next to Hayden on the couch. "What are we watching." 

"I put on Avengers. I hope that's alright," I tell them before cuddling up on the couch with a blanket. 

We watched the movie for about thirty minutes before you could hear a few snores around the room. Josh, Drew, and Alex are all sleeping, leaving me and Hayden awake. 

"Well, I guess we are the last ones," I say, looking at him. I slowly look at his body, studying the differences over the years. He has definitely changed. He has a few tattoos on his arms and chest. His hair is cute as it swooped to the side. 

"You checking me out over there?" He says, smirking at me with his usual smile. 

"No, I wasn't. I was just wondering how you don't have goosebumps it's cold in here." I say stupidly, trying to cover up me checking him out. 

"You don't have to hide it. But I am cold. Give me some of the blanket." He says, pulling some of the blanket onto him, making me have to scoot closer to him. 

"I'm bored," I tell him, leaning on the armrest of the couch.

"Well, what do you want to do?" He asks, turning towards me. 

"We could ask each other questions?" I say with a shrug. 

"I'll go first." He says really fast, smiling at me. "Are you a virgin?" 

"Wow, you just had to go there," I say with a sigh. "No, I am not." 

He looks a little disappointed for a second before telling me it's my turn. 

"Did you have fun at college?" 

"I mean, yeah, there were a lot of parties and booze, but the school part was horrible." He says, leaning on the couch with his arm resting on the top. "Do you have a boyfriend?" He asks, leaning closer to me. "Also, why do you smell like strong alcohol?" 

"No, I do not have a boyfriend. And I work at a bar." I tell him with a sigh. "Do you have a girlfriend?"  

"No, I do not. Why are you asking?" He says with a smirk. 

"You asked me first," I say, pointing out at him with a laugh. 

"Now the real question is, are you still in love with me." He says, making a fake serious face.

"Hayden, that was a long time ago," I tell him, looking away from him. 

"I know." He says, making me look at him. 

"I'm going to bed. Goodnight. See you tomorrow?"

I get up from the couch and leave the blanket there for Hayden. 

"Goodnight, Evie." He whispers while I leave.