Chapter-15

MERCURYS POV.

"I don't know what's about to happen in here. Aunt Leah has a reputation in the family. My mother could possibly kill someone, and you will probably want to put your head through a wall." Angelo said as we, and four of his men, stopped outside of the restaurant where we all were supposed to meet Gios sister and nephew, Leah and Ricky.

  Long story. Just know that they called the day we left the beach house, and Penny was not happy.

"On a scale of one to ten, how likely is any of that going to happen?"

"Probably a solid eight." Goodness.

"Is it too late to go back home?"

"I'm afraid it is."

Walking in, it was easy to spot everyone. Mostly because there was only one woman in there who looked ready for bloodshed.

  And she was my grandmother.

However, I hadn't met two people sitting next to Gino.

An older-ish woman, who had brown hair, just like the rest of us. She had brown eyes, and it was easy to tell that she and Gio were brother and sister.

Next to her, was a man around Angelo and Ginos age, who didn't really look like his mother, but you could still tell that they were related.

  Both were well polished, and screamed business.

  "Leah, Ricky." Angelo stiffly greeted with a handshake going to Ricky, and a kiss on the cheek to Leah. "This is my daughter, Mercury." He introduced us.

  Leah bent down down a bit, staring me into my eyes. "I suppose she's got a little bit of Lesca in her." What is that supposed to mean?

  "Uh...hi?" I responded. It's a miracle I was even able to say something after that.

  Ricky gave me a slight nod, not really talking at all.

"Hey Pen. Hi Gio." I hugged the both of them.

"Hello Mer. How have been feeling?" Penny asked. 

   "I feel a lot better. Angelos been making me take this gross medicine, and let me tell you, I would much rather have pneumonia." I shuddered.

  "Hey! Save some for your favorite uncle!" Gino interrupted.

  "Yeah yeah." I hugged him with a laugh before sitting down.

"So, Giovanni, have you been happy?" Leah jumped right in. Holy shit.

Next to me, out of the corner of my eye I could see Gino biting down on napkin, while across from me I could see Angelo roll his eyes and loosen his tie.

"Leah, what is that supposed to mean?" Penny held herself back.

"Oh nothing. I'm just wondering how my brothers' life is since he married a woman that wasn't in the mafia." She shrugged, taking a sip of her wine. Oh my god.

"Right. And that's supposed to make his life more miserable, correct?" She challenged sarcastically.

"Well..." Leah trailed off.

"Alright. Let's settle down." Gio tried to calm the situation down.

"Anyways, Ricky, how's life?" Gino cut in nervously.

Ricky shrugged. "I'm still alive."

I could practically feel Angelos eye roll this time.

"Back to my previous topic, I simply came to check on my family. Gino, how are you?" Leah started up again.

  "I'm fine Leah. And yourself?"

"I am fine thank you. Mercury, tell me about yourself. How's school going?" She asked me.

   "I actually graduated early, so I guess you could say school went fairly well." I gave a lighthearted chuckle to ease the mood.

  "My, I guess you are very smart. Definitely didn't get that from your sweet grandmother." Oh my lord. What is with this family and their bluntness?

  Gio pushed down Penny, who tried to stand up.

"Angelo, how is the young Capo himself?"

"I'm fine."

  "Lovely to hear."

After that, well at least for a little bit nothing happened.

  But, Penny and Leah ended up arguing yet again.

"Penelope, all I'm saying is that you could loosen the noose you've put around my brother just a bit."

  "Leah, I'm not holding my husband back from doing whatever the hell he wants."

Literally every person at the table had their heads in their hands.

  They went back and forth for quite a bit.

For a split second, Angelo and I looked at each other at the same time.

   It's nothing out of the ordinary. Happens everyday to everyone.

  And then, straight faced, he crossed his eyes.

I mean, come on. I don't think a big, scary, mafia boss would cross his eyes without the intent to make someone laugh.

  I couldn't hold myself back, and let out a laugh loud enough for most, of not all of our table to hear.

  "Is there something funny?" Penny asked in the midst of her argument with her sister in law.

   "No. I'm sorry. Please, continue." I tried to cover myself.

   Stupid Angelo.

ANGELOS POV.

   Looking over at Mercury, she looked incredibly tired.

So, I made her laugh. What? It worked.

"Angelo, my boy, how has parenthood been treating you?" Leah asked after her and mom finished up round eleven of arguments.

I shrugged. "Well, I had most of the work done for me by the time she happened."

  She nodded. "You're one of the lucky ones. Having a beautiful daughter, and completely changing for the better."

   "What do you mean "changed?""

"You went from being a womanizer young man, to a young father. If that's not a dramatic character change, then what would be?"

Is it that noticeable? I didn't even notice.

"And the work isn't going to be done. Not for a long time."

  I raised an eyebrow at that one.

"I don't know Leah. She's been in and out of college already. She's only fifteen."

    "Yes. She definitely does not take after your mother's side."