Chapter-17

ANGELOS POV.

Mercury had been acting strange all day.

She's barely come out of her room, I haven't seen her in the kitchen, which is her favorite place to be. Not to mention the fact that I don't even think I've seen her eat or drink anything.

"I don't know mom. I mean, she's always immediate, and now she looks exhausted."

"That is pretty odd. Maybe she's just having an off day. Hell, I get even those every once in a while." She tried to make sense of it over the phone.

"I guess that's a possibility. How's that whole Enzo and Leah situation going?" I asked.

Mom was unfortunate enough to have to deal with both of them staying at her and dads house for the remainder of their visit.

"Ugh dont remind me. Anyways, you'll see them tomorrow. We are all going to that farmers market your dad and I love. No exceptions."

"That farmers market?"

"Yes. You out of all people know that we go every time family is in town."

"Ugh I hate going into the country side. I even remember the time you dragged me and-," Adaline.

Oh my god.

It's Adalines birthday.

"Shit. Mom I have to go, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Is everything ok?"

"Yeah. Bye." I abruptly hung up.

I wasn't really surprised at myself for not even thinking about it. It's been years, so I can't blame myself.

But now, everything with Mercury was making perfect sense.

I didn't knock before opening her door.

"Mercury?" I walked in.

She was propped up between her bed and the wall, with dark circles under her puffy eyes.

She didn't even have her hair tied up in a usual ribbon.

A few solemn tears traveled down her face, but I had a good feeling they weren't the first.

"I'll be fine by tomorrow. I'm always better the next day."

Always better the next day?

"This has happened before?" I asked, incredibly confused.

She nodded her head. "I was twelve when she first stopped living. She acted as if life were nothing. So yeah, I've been like this for years."

"You've been dealing with this for that long?"

She shrugged. "I love mom, but I hate her for giving up."

  "Well," I sat down next to her. "Sometimes, people aren't happy. It takes a lot to change some things. She didn't feel that way because of you. She was sick. When you feel that way, not much is in your hands, if you know what I mean."

   "It's just- she married a man who hurt her, and now she's gone. And the worse part is that not much feels different." A few more tears fell.

   Please god, do not let there be anymore.

"She's been gone for years. And the only thing different is that I have an extra parent to lay the burden on."

"You are most definitely not a burden Mercury. Not to me or your mother."

"If I weren't, then she would still be alive, you guys would still be together, and there wouldn't be a crazy ass mafia after all of us."

  I should have been there for them.

"No one in the world knows this, but you and your mother are the two absolute best things that have ever happened and that will ever happen to me. And there's nothing that can change that."

She cracked a small, sad smile.

"I just wish she was here. With us."

"That's the thing with life. You cherish the moments. Even the small ones."

She sighed. "You're really insightful for a mafia boss, you know that?"

   "Well, I did have to take a few psych classes in high school."

  "Your poor teacher."

"You aren't wrong there. I used to trick the teacher into a lot of different things, and that's the reason why they no longer teach reverse psychology at Point-Edge high school."

  "You're crazy."she laughed.

"The only thing that went crazy in high school was the psych teacher after a few years of having to deal with your dumbass father."

"Mom would always say that you were actually really smart."

"I wouldn't admit it."

MERCURYS POV.

  "Ugh. Where are we going?"

"Stop complaining Gino." His mother scolded him.

"You dragged us out in the middle of nowhere. I thought we were going to that old ass flea market you people are obsessed with."

  He was right.

We were surrounded by woods.

"Theres nothing for miles." He continued.

"Oh hush. Look. Here we are." Penny announced as we came to a clearing.

  "Oh god. What is this all about?" Leah asked smugly.

In front of us was a very old house.

  Like falling apart old.

  "Glad you asked. Everyone," Penny and Gio faced us all. "We are moving!"

  "Oh wow, congratulations!" I hugged both of them.

  "You guys are moving out here?" Angelo asked, shocked.

"We decided that the city life wasn't right for us anymore, so we bought this house."

  "I bet this was Penelope's idea. I mean look at it!" Leah laughed.

  Have you ever seen someone's breaking point?

     Because I think I just saw my grandmother's.