s e v e n t e e n

< October >

{ Tate }

I jolted awake when I heard Riley start to wail louder than he's ever wailed before. I quickly looked at the clock- 2 AM. I sighed and got out of bed and rushed down the hall as the cries got louder.

I walked in, flipping on a light, and walking to the crib. Riley got sick and it was everywhere.

"Aww baby boy" I sighed and picked him up, now getting it on me, "It's okay" I rocked.

"Let's get everything cleaned up" I sighed, gathering Riley's bed stuff with one arm and holding him with the other.

After stuffing the bed stuff in the washer, I got both Riley and I undressed and hopped in the shower to clean up. We got out and I dried us off before stepping back into my room. I left Riley in just a diaper and I just put on shorts and one of Ashton's shirts and settled on the bed sitting upright against the headboard.

Feeling Riley's head, I could tell he had a fever, not a bad one but a small one. But this meant that we can't go see Ashton because I can't put him on a plane with more people. His heart can't handle it right now.

Riley continued crying for an hour. Finally, I grabbed my phone to try and call Ashton, who answered after a couple of rings, hoping maybe just hearing his voice will calm Riley down.

"Hi baby" his voice was raspy. Riley whipped his head to the phone.

"Hi. Sorry, I woke you up" I spoke.

"It's fine. What's going on?" He questioned, moving around.

"Ri got sick. We can't come to see you" I sighed.

"Is he okay?" Ashton's whole demeanor changed.

"He's got a little fever, not too bad so he doesn't need to be rushed in, and he hasn't puked since I got him from bed" I answered. Ashton nodded and I could see the disappointment on his face.

"I'm sorry we can't come. We just can't risk putting him on a plane and making him sicker" I explained.

Ashton nodded,

"I know. The timing sucks but just get him better. Maybe we can fly you two out later" he tried to think positive.

"Hopefully but we would risk him getting sick again right before surgery" I countered.

"Shit. You're right. Maybe I'll just come home"

"NO. You stay. We will be okay" I spoke. Ashton sighed but nodded.

Riley was now peacefully sleeping and Ashton was still on the phone.

"If he has to go to the hospital, please call me" Ashton's eyes looked defeated.

"You know I will. But even then you aren't going to rush home. We will be okay" I promised.

"Has anything else changed?" He questioned.

"He's walking a bit more. I'm completely in shock but he's taking like three steps at a time" I smiled. Ashton smiled but sighed, knowing he's missing it.

Riley stirred in my arms but stayed asleep.

"Ash, I'm going to go. I don't want Riley to wake up and I'm gonna have him sleep in our bed" I told him.

"Okay. Goodnight. Keep me posted with Riles. I love you" he smiled.

"I love you too baby" I grinned back and hung up.

I laid Riley down and put a pillow on the other side of him and got us tucked in. It didn't take long for me to fall asleep after that.

****