t h i r t y - e i g h t

< January >

{ Tate }

Since being home, I haven't slept very well. I think I'm worried about too many things all at once.

It's currently 3 am and I'm still wide awake. Ashton was sound asleep next to me and I didn't want to wake him up. He and the boys were back in the studio this past week and he hasn't been getting home until around midnight.

I slowly climbed out of bed and grabbed my phone. I quietly exited mine and Ashton's room, closing the door behind me. I took a peek into Riley's room and he was sound asleep, curled up with his blankie.

I made my way downstairs and settled on the couch, grabbing a blanket and pulling it over me as I turned the tv on. I flipped channels then finally settled on George Lopez. I sat the remote on the coffee table and kept my eyes focused on the tv.

One episode in and now 3:30 am, I heard a door open upstairs and I looked to the steps expecting Riley, but saw Ashton instead, coming down the stairs in sweatpants instead of just his boxers.

He reached the bottom and came and sat on the couch, pulling me into his body and kissing my head,

"Trouble sleeping?" He asked as he ran his hand up and down my arm. I nodded. "Baby not letting you sleep or other reasons?"

"Both" I sighed and brought my arms around Ashton's bare torso,

"What's bothering you?" Ashton asked softly as kept kissing my head,

"Just thinking about the baby, Jack, Riley, and your dad," I told him,

"Well, the baby is perfectly fine. Jack will be here later and he will be fine. Riley's okay. And don't worry about my dad. I won't let him get anywhere near you and the kids" Ashton promised,

I nodded and closed my eyes,

"Baby lets go back to bed" Ashton whispered. I nodded and turned the tv off and we walked back to our room and got in bed.

I rolled closer to Ashton and he started to hum quietly. As I started to doze off, our room door pushed open. Both Ashton and I adjusted and saw Riley standing there,

"Riles? Come here baby boy" I spoke. Riley walked over to the bed and Ashton pulled him up and put him between us,

"What's wrong bubby?" Ashton asked as he pulled the covers up,

"Scawy" Riley mumbled and held his baby blanket tighter,

"Aww. There's nothing scary. But you can stay with Mommy and Daddy for the rest of the night" I told him, kissing his head and cuddling him.

{ Ashton }

I had some things to do today before we went and picked up Jack from the airport tonight. Riley woke up when I did, but Tate was still asleep. Tate's slept horribly the past couple days so she needs her sleep.

I got Riley and myself dressed then ran up to our room,

"Tate, baby, I'm going to Lowe's to get plants. I'm gonna take Riles with me. You okay by yourself?" I asked, sitting down,

"Yeah. Get pretty plants" she mumbled and rolled over. I laughed and gave her a kiss before grabbing Riley and heading out.

****

"Okay Ri, what should we get?" I spoke as I pushed the long cart through the rows of plants. Riley hummed and looked around.

I felt like a normal person at the moment. A normal dude instead of 'the musician'. I was doing normal people things and I wasn't worried about people hounding me. No cameras, no crazy questions. I was doing 'dad' things with my son.