Prison on sea

"The ship is cursed, lad. Ye'll be no return," says an old hag to him.

Her eyes are blind. She is staring a certain cruise ship as if she could see it.

Vante scoffs at her and he continues his walk into the ship.

I shouldn't be here at all. It wasn't me. Never went to buy drugs. I'm no junky. Not a seller. The court won't believe me. Now I'm trapped with other juvenile freaks.

Vante stares to the luxurious cruise ship. Three months on that ship. A luxurious juvenile prison. It's still a prison. He grabs his bag and walks into the ship. His collar is itchy. Wearing a dog tag is really humiliating for him.

There are some passengers left on the upper deck. Most of them are children from different ages. From twelve to seventeen years old. A bulky man spits when Vante passes him.

"Check out that wussy. Blue hair," comments him.

He laughs heartily like a hyena. His friends beside him laugh too.

Vante turns around and smiles to them

Vante turns around and smiles to them. His smile is so wide and friendly. As if they're his old friends from the neighborhood. Not strangers in this juvenile prison.

"Thanks. I love my hair."

"What? Are you a moron? We never praise your hair."

"Why not? I got awesome hair."

A warden walks toward them.

He warns, "Start moving. Put your bags in your cabins. Punishment for anyone who couldn't comply."

Vante turns around and he begins to walk again.

The same warden at the deck notices his collar and he warns, "Lowest deck #15. Left side."

"Got it, Sir!"

The warden shakes his head. Vante seems like a nice kid. Not the ones he often meet in this juvenile prison.

*****

Vante stares to his cramped cabin. Six other boys in the same room. He is just standing there at the doorway.

He checks the plat number on the door: #1515. The same number on his dog tag.

"You must be kidding me," grumbles a boy in the room.

"It's already cramped. I'm going to protest to warden," complaints another boy.

Vante just drops his bag and he seeks a corner to lie down. No bed or furniture here. Only one empty cabin and mats. At least the mats look new and clean.

A taller boy stretches his hand and introduces, "I'm RM. I'm here because I accidentally broke a machine in government office. Why are you here?"

Vante doesn't shake his hand.