The Price of Gold

💛 Edited- -20.06.2020 💛

The next morning, I was walking down the street absorbing the early sunlight when I heard the siren of the sheriff's cruiser. My curiosity only increased when he pulled up in front of me.

"The sirens? Really?" I asked.

"It's so hard to get your attention," he said, getting out of his car and walking over to me .

"Well, you got it. What do you need?"

"Just wanted to say thank you for helping find that coma patient. We all owe you a great deal of gratitude."

"Well, what do I get? A commendation? A key to the city? No, I'm kidding. It was the right thing to do. Anyway it wasn't just me."

"I know but you helped the most."

"I really didn't."

"Will you just take the compliment, please?"

"I guess."

"Anyway, if you ever need a job. I could use a deputy. If not I'll offer it to Emma."

"I already have a job but thanks. Anyway Emma could do with the job not me. That doesn't mean to say though that If you need help with a case I won't help, it's just I think Emma would benefit from it more."

"Ok. See you round,Tasha."

"See ya, Graham."

With that he got back in his cruiser and I went into Grannys. I went up and ordered a hot chocolate when I saw Emma sitting alone at a table.

Once I'd got my drink I went over to her table.

"Mind if I join?"

"Not at all."

"So... did you take Mary Margaret up on her offer last night?"

Emma gave me a small smile. "Yeah, I did."

"Don't take this the wrong way, Emma, but I can't help but notice that you seem to be wearing the same outfits quite a lot."

"I didn't bring many clothes."

"Oh, if that's the case, I own the best and only boutique just down the road so if you need clothes you can always drop in."

"Thanks. I think I will."

We carried on talking when the bell chimed. I turned round to see Regina walking in.

She looked around the diner before her eyes met our table and she walked over.

"Enjoy your walk with Henry?" She asked Emma.

Emma looked up and then at me with wide eyes.

"That's right. I know everything..." Regina said, taking the seat next to me. "But relax. I don't mind."

"You don't?" Emma asked doubtfully.

"No. Because you no longer worry me Ms Swan. You see I done a little digging into who you are, and what I found was quite soothing. It all comes down to the number seven."

"Seven?" I asked.

"It's the number of addresses you've had in the last decade," Regina said to Emma. "Your longest stint anywhere was two years. Really, what did you enjoy so much about Tallahassee?"

"If you were wondering, I did find a place here to stay in town." Emma told Regina, who immediately looked over at me.

"Don't look at me. I've got nothing to do with this."