The Still Small Voice

💛 Edited--22.6.20 💛

Later that night, I was walking round my shop having just finished a 5 hour shift when all of a sudden there was a massive BOOM, making me loose my footing and fall into one of the closest rails of clothes.

"What the hell?" I muttered.

I knew that everyone else would have felt this too and will most likely have called the sheriff's station. This means that I'm not going to be able to get ahold of them, so I'll do one better:

I'll go to the sheriff's station myself.

I began to make my way over to the station when I saw a couple of people running.

"Hey! Do you know what that was!" I yelled at them from across the street.

"It's a crater at the mines!" One of them yelled back.

My curiosity got the better of me and I went to the mines.

When I got there, Graham's cruiser was pulling up and I was glad to see Emma was with him meaning she'd accepted his offer and she was staying.

I saw Ruby so I went over to see her.

"Everyone step back, please," Regina shouted, trying to get everyone away from danger.

"Is that a crater?" Ruby asked me and Marco.

"Uh, there were tunnels, uh, old mines," Marco responded, pointing at the mines. "Something collapsed."

I could still hear Regina trying to get people away from the crater.

"Sheriff, set up a police perimeter," Regina said, coming over to us just as Emma and Graham came over. Graham gave my hand a reassuring squeeze and a small smile. "Marco, why don't you help with the fire department?" Regina was channelling her inner boss. "Ms Swan, this is now official town business. You're free to go."

"Well, actually, I work for the town now," Emma said while I smirked smugly. Regina ignored me and looked straight at Graham, who was still holding my hand, shocked.

"She's my new deputy," Graham said in his cute little accent.

I caught Emma trying to hide a smile as Regina looked at us all, clearly pissed but pretty good at hiding it.

"They say the mayor's always last to know," she said now looking directly at Graham.

"It's in my budget."

"Indeed. Deputy why don't you make yourself useful and help with crowd control?"

Emma and Graham glanced at each other and Graham nodded.

"Wanna help Tash?" Emma asked.

"Yeah, sure, why not?" I said, walking away with Emma.

I turned to see Regina speaking to the crowd and Henry? What was Henry doing here? Surely he should be at school.

"Emma, I'm just gonna..." I trailed off, looking over at Henry.

"Of course."

I went over to Henry who was now talking to Regina.

"Come on kid, let's let your Mum do her job," I said, grabbing onto Henry's arm gently. Regina gave me a grateful smile which I returned. 

I led Henry away from the ledge as everyone else was also being pushed back.

We stopped and turned back for another glance at the mayor who bent down, picked up something with a worried look and then slid it into her pocket. I'm pretty sure Henry noticed too but I thought best not to mention it.