The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

💛 Edited--30.06.2020 💛

The next day, to make up for last night, I found myself at Granny's with Graham and he was teaching me how to throw darts accurately.

"Ok, so you do it like this," Graham said, throwing a dart hitting the picture in the centre.

"Right, yeah I can do that," I muttered. I went to pull my arm back but Graham stopped me.

"You need to stand like this," he said, correcting my posture while coming up close behind me.

I spun my head round to look at him and he just smiled mischievously.

"Can you just show me again, please?" I asked.

"Yup," he threw a dart, and yet again it hit the deer in the middle.

"Nice shot, Chief," a voice said from the booth behind us. "I betcha 10 bucks you can't do it again."

"Who is this guy?" I whispered to Graham. He looked at me and shook his head in confusion.

Graham took a shot of whatever Ruby had just brought over to us then turned back to the board.

He concentrated on the deer before throwing a dart, hitting it once again in the middle.

I cheered a little and kissed him on the cheek.

"Next round's on him," Graham told Ruby.

He was about to throw another dart when Emma came in from the back.

"Hey, Emma. How was the night shift last night?" I asked.

"Fine," she said shortly, looking anywhere but at Graham.

"Emma, what can I get ya?" Ruby asked.

"Nothing," Emma replied.

Emma walked passed us so I turned to Graham.

"What was that about?" I asked.

"Nothing. I guess she's just pissed she had to work the night shift," Graham said, going back to the dartboard.

I awaited for him to throw it but then he spun around and threw it at Emma. This of cause got the attention of the whole diner who turned in shock.

"Graham! What the hell are you doing!" I yelled angrily.

"What the hell? You could have hit me," Emma said pissed.

"I never miss. Tash, will you go and get me a drink please," Graham said, not looking at me.

I went to refuse but saw Emma look at me in sympathy. I hated sympathy so I went up to the bar and listened in.

"You've been avoiding me since last night when you saw me," Graham said. Last night? What?

"Leaving the mayor?" Emma asked not bothering  to keep her voice down. "And, yes, that is a euphemism. I'm not avoiding you. I just have no interest in having this conversation. Although you know who you should be telling about this? Your girlfriend." Everyone in the diner turned to me so I pretended to be looking at the menu.

Emma walked out and Graham followed her.

"Ruby, what do I do?" I asked her.

"Follow them. He's clearly hiding something from you that he doesn't want you to know," she said kindly.

"But doesn't that make me clingy?"

"Not if it's a secret that involves you."

"Ok," I muttered before creeping out the door.