FIVE

CLEMENTINE

"You can do this," her eyes were wide and tears streamed down her face as she thought about stepping foot in the establishment that was now hers. 'Mel's Diner' was waiting for her just four blocks away where her ex worked and the whole staff waited for direction. 

She pushes her curled hair behind her ears and grabs the maroon coat hanging by her door, a deep breath trying to calm her racing heart. When the cold air hit her face she immediately wanted to go back inside but she fought against the bitter wind as she pushed through the crowds of people. The one thing she hated about New York was the people, in a crowd full of one hundred people you still always felt alone. No one even giving you a second look after they bumped into you or nearly knocked you down, it was just a crowd full of ghosts. 

The neon red sign her mother had purchased last year was peaking out in the distance and it only made her more nervous as she approached, eyes taking in the empty seats in the window. It was only 7 am so she felt comfortable going when no one was around to judge her, so she could just mourn for a second. 

Stopping in front of the building she immediately looked up her mother's name, the name that built a business from nothing. Clementine didn't want to take her mother's name and drag it through the mud if she failed, it wasn't an option.

"Well well well," her eyes immediately slammed shut as a familiar voice greeted her once she finally pushed herself to go inside, "If it isn't my ex girlfriend."

Clementine peaked over at the man leaning onto the counter top of the register, eyes taking in her shaking figure. She wasn't cold anymore, just terrified of the interaction happening right before her eyes. "Max please don't-"

"What so you can ignore me for a whole week but I can't say anything when I see you?," she reaches up to pinch the bridge of her nose, realizing exactly why she had broken up with him all those months ago. "I must mean absolutely nothing to you."

His body language changes to completely defensive as his arms cross and spine straightens out to make him look taller. He was only a couple inches taller than Clementine who was thinking of how his sweatpants fit on Harry, who had to be at least six foot or taller. 

"Max my Mother died i'm sorry that I needed a minute alone to just come to terms with that," her voice snaps easily without wanting to, the side of her that he brought out showing quickly. A version of herself she didn't want to surface again. "We're not dating anymore so I don't technically need to contact you at all."

His mouth tightens and just as he steps forward to say something he will definitely regret later an older lady appears from the back. "Clementine darling! I am so glad you came back, if you need anymore time off though let me know I am happy to take over," the woman wraps Clementine in a warm hug, hand rubbing her back.

"Don't listen to that meat head, you're mother never did like him," Clem's mouth twisted into a small humorous smile as the woman pulled away from her. "Max get to scrubbing the grills, they won't just magically clean themselves."

She easily shoos him away with her wrinkled fingers, "Thank you Mrs. Teigen for watching the place for me while I figure some things out.." the older woman pushed Clementine to sit in one of the stools at the counter.

"Oh call me Claire sweetheart, we are now business partners," the corners of her lips pull up and the dark complexion of her skin shines as the cold sun comes through the diner window. "I know this place won't be the same for you without your mother but i'm hoping it will keep her memory alive."

Clementine easily agreed since that was the reason she was doing it anyway, so she could finally do something to make her mother proud. "Yeah until this place goes under," a small huff leaves her lips at the man who came to sit beside her. His arm brushing hers by accident, flinching away she stands to get on the other side of the counter.

"I don't know why you have to act like this, my mother gave you a job even after what you did to me," her voice was small and his eyes narrowed at the mention of his misbehavior, my mother being the one to ream him out all the way until they were on the sidewalk outside of her building. "We can be civil....but we will never date again I want to make that clear."

Max leaned back in his seat, eyes taking in her hour glass figure he had once traced for himself. He knew he fucked up when he had hurt her, but she wasn't paying any attention to him like she should have. Max felt neglected by her lack of interest in him, Clementine always put him last and it drove him over the edge but with her mother gone he would have a chance. She talked a big game now but he was sure he could win her back over.

"Whatever Clem, just don't be surprised if I show up at your apartment sometime...a guy has needs," his words caused her to rest her forehead against the counter top, the door closing behind him as he went to the back. 

She could already feel him draining the energy from her, "I want to kill him," she finally mutters out, the rage she felt was absolutely busting from her chest but there wasn't anything she could do. He wasn't a guy that took no for an answer, "Can I be alone for a second?"

The older woman immediately agrees, looking at her with a pity she didn't want. Clementine longed to just live her life without those long glances of pity or grief, the kind that made her want to hide. She didn't want the attention, she simply wanted to carry on.

Clementine immediately thought of Harry, the way his eyes regarded her with care instead of caution. He was the first person she had talked to in so long that made her feel normal. 

And she longed for that feeling again.