ten

I remember staring at the sky for a little bit before Lena came into my field of vision. I can see her mouth moving but I couldn't hear a word she was saying. Alex came into view next but just like Lena I couldn't hear her. I focused on Lena and tried to get my breathing under control. It wasn't working though, and my vision was fading to black. The last thing I remember was Lena's lips on mine and hearing her say "Come back to me".

            When I woke up I was out of breath and under sunlamps once again. The pain was back and that's the only thing I could focus on.

            "Kara look at me" Lena. My eyes found her and she did not look good herself.

            "What's happening" I said.

            "Your powers flared, Alex and I are trying to figure out why but you need to be strong right now Kara. I need you to fight it." Lena said. Another wave of intense pain rushed through me and I couldn't focus on her anymore. I could hear yelling in the background and I felt my body get turned over so I was now laying on my stomach. Everything went numb and all I saw was black again.

            The next time I woke up I had an oxygen mask covering my nose and mouth. It felt like my back was on fire. When I opened my eyes the room was dim and there was a lot of beeping going on. I tried to move the mask off my face but my hand was held by my side. Carefully I turned my head and found Lena sitting on my right. She was watching the monitors in front of her very closely while taking notes.

            "Lena" I said. She didn't move, I don't think the words came out. I used all the strength I had to move my left hand to remove the mask.

            That was when Lena felt me move. She turned her attention away from her notes and looked at me. She looked surprised to see me awake but she put the mask back on my face.

            "Leave that on Kara don't move it." Lena said sternly.

            "What happened?" I asked, everything was really hazy and I don't remember much.

            "You had a power flare, a large one at that. Alex and I actually preformed surgery to remove a piece of the bullet that broke off and moved in your body. We think that when you got out of the car the movement pushed the bullet into your spine and broke a piece off and it was pressing against a nerve in your back. We think that the pain that you experienced caused the flare." Lena said.

            I just sighed and nodded. Not much longer sleep took over me. I was in and out for the next few days. Alex and Lena have been by my side the whole time. They closely monitored me wouldn't let me do anything. Just moving the bed up was a challenge.

            After about a week I finally started to feel more like myself. The pain in my back wasn't that bad anymore and I was able to start eating solid food again. With a lot of help from Lena she pushed me outside to soak up some sun for once. It was so nice to see the sun again after not seeing it for so long.

            "Were you guys able to get the large bullet fragment that was pressing against my spine while you were in there?" I asked and turned to the pale woman sitting next to me.

            "We tried. Alex tried to get it and so did I. The more we tried to pull it out the more it latched onto your muscles. We didn't want to run the risk of something happening to you if we tried to remove it without knowing what it could do to you. It's not a normal bullet that hit you. We now think the fragments that broke off was a shell to conceal a small kryptonite device. That's our only explanation right now. We took many pictures and ran some tests on it while we were in there but until we know the mechanics of it Alex and I thought it would be best to leave it in." Lena explained.