Anything but pathetic

It was after, yet another contest, one that May had won. At the moment she was practicing with her Glaceon and Beautifly, trying to prefect a combination for the next contest.

"Glaceon, use ice shard! Beautifly use Silver wind and psychic!" May commanded enthusiastically.

Her Pokémon obeyed, unleashing the attacks. The moves collided into a sparkling wave of with blizzard like damage.

"Wow!" May chimed in awe. "That was amazing! Ok, let's do a few more combinations, then you two can have a break." The Pokémon nodded and followed their trainer's commands.

Hours had passed. The sun had already come down, releasing all the sparkling stars into the sky. May came back into the Pokémon center, exhausted. After a lot of practicing, May and her Pokémon began to just play and roll around, having fun. The lights were dimmer than in the morning. May approached the front counter, and waited.

"Chansey?" Nurse Joy's Pokémon helper questioned the coordinator.

"Oh, hi Chansey. Would you mind taking a look at my Pokémon and giving them a recharge?" May asked.

"Chansey." The Pokémon nodded.

May smiled and handed over her Pokéballs. Chansey took May's Pokémon and went to the back room. May waited at the counter, knowing it wouldn't take to long. Suddenly, May heard a group of girls behind her.

"Oh yeah, it's no big deal. I'll just win the next time." May heard a girl behind her tell her friends. The girl noticed May, and smiled evilly. "Besides, that princess of Hoenn girl is just a joke. I'm surprised she has made it this far, and that Drew would associate with someone so pathetic."

"Wow, girl. You really know how to tell it." The girl's friend encouraged.

"I know. In fact, I'll bet Drew will leave her weak little self and traveled with someone who deserves him, like me. I mean, we belong together. There is no way Drew likes that puppy eared loser. I'll be the one to wins his heart and beat her in the next contest." The girl remarked, slyly.

"You go Marissa!" Her friend cheered.

"Now, come one ladies, we need our beauty sleep." Marissa declared, ushering her friends back to their rooms.

May still stood at the counter, motionless. A single tear slid down her cheek, at the hurtful things Marissa said about her. Sure, May had beat her in the first round, but she didn't have to be so awful. May, usually wouldn't let something like that get to her, but she was tired and Marissa hit a touchy topic. Drew.

'Maybe...maybe she is right about Drew....' May thought, sadly.

"Chansey?" The pink Pokémon chirped in concern.

May quickly wiped away the tear and smiled. "Thank you. I'm just going to get to bed. Bye."

She quickly grabbed her Pokémon and be-lined it to her room. She quietly opened and closed the door, just incase her traveling companion was asleep.

"You're here late." Drew stated, looking at her with a curious look. He was sitting in bed, with a book in hand. In the T-shirt and shorts he claimed as he pajamas.

"Yeah, sorry. I was training and lost track of time." May replied, more somber than she intended.

Drew raised an eyebrow. "What happened?"

"Nothing, just tired. I'm going to take a shower, then go to bed." May answered. She went to the bathroom and locked the door.

Drew heard the shower turn on and turned his attention back to his book. He was still worried, but thought that if something was really bothering her, she would tell him. A few minutes later, May came out, dressed in her pajamas. She quietly climbed into bed.