Runaway groom

Why did it have to happen like this? Forced to marry some random girl when he was already madly in love with someone else. Not that his parents cared. Which is mostly why he hardly visits home.

To make things even worse, this girl, like just about every girl, fell in love with him. Which only added to his distress because it was another cruel reminder that he was in love with the only girl that would never love him.

So now, he was stuck marrying a girl that would only benefit his parents company. A girl he detests. A girl who might be very pleasing to the eye but was awful in every other way.

Now, after all his suffering though the vigorous wedding planning, he was waiting to be called. He just sat in there lazily.

Then, there was knock at the door. He had expected it to be his parents or even his bride. But he was in for much more pleasant company.

"Drew? Can we talk?" It was May

"Of course. Come on in." Drew sat up.

May opened the door enough to slip in and close it behind her. Though she was in a beautiful dress picked out for the event, she didn't look happy. Her gaze was to the floor and her usual smile was nowhere in sight.

"Hey, are you ok?" Drew got up and walked over to her.

"No...I'm not..." May mumbled. She looked to him with a watery gaze. "I should have told you...but I was afraid. Now...I'm going to lose you."

"Tell me what? Why are you going to lose me?" Drew worried.

May shook her head. "I...I shouldn't be doing this...you're getting married."

"May? What is it?" Drew asked.

"I...I'm in love with you." May began to cry. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. I'll go." She went for the door. "I really am happy for you though."

"No, wait! May!" Drew tried to stop her but she slipped out the door.

He tried to follow her out but his mom came in between.

"Andrew! It's time!" Drew's mother chirped as he stood in front of him. "Get going. No need to keep your lovely bride waiting."

"Wait I need to-"

"No you don't." Drew's dad barked. "You have done enough against this family and it is time you do something for us."

"He's right. Just do this one thing for us sweet." His mom begged.

Drew was to overwhelming to argue. After all these years of thinking May didn't love him and only thought of him as a friend, it was tuff to take in. Especially when she thought he was in love with someone else.

In his dazed stated, Drew allowed his parents to drag him to the altar. He just stood there, not at all paying attention to the music or his brides big entrance. The only thing on his mind was May. He could see her in the crowd, crying her eyes out and his heart ached.

He was brought back to reality by the continuation of the ceremony.

"Do you Marissa take Drew Hayden to be your lawfully wedded husband?" The priest asked Marissa, his bride.

"I do." Marissa chirped dreamily.

"And do you Drew take Marissa Arogan to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

"I..." Drew glanced back at May and he knew he couldn't. "I can't. I'm in love someone else." He ran from the Altar and trying to get to May.

The press was eating up the news and crowd of guests erupted in frustration. Mainly the parents of the bride and groom.

"May, let's get out of here." Drew took her hand.

May nodded and Drew ran off with her in toe. However, before they could make it to the door, they were pulled into a small room by none other than Drew's parents. They were visibly angry but Drew stood protectively in front of May.

"What were you thinking!" Drew's dad yelled. "You just had to do one thing for this family! One! And you couldn't even do that!"

"Honestly, Andrew. Do you have any idea what you just coast this family? And for what? Some other girl? This is outrageous. Why can't you just see that we know what is best for you?" Drew's mom lectured.

"What is best for me? Are you kidding?" Drew growled. "All you ever cared about was the family business! Not me! Not my dreams or goals of being a coordinator! Neither of you ever supported me. And you wonder why I never come home for a visit."

"Andrew-"

"It's Drew. I go by Drew. Not that either of you would know that." Drew hissed.

"Drew. You need to calm down." May gave his hand a light squeeze.

Just her simple touch was enough to calm him. Drew took in a breath before he continued.

"Look, I love May. More than I have loved anything and now that I know she loves me, there is no one else I will marry. She supports me, cares for me, and puts up with me. If you care for me at all, you will let me be with her." Drew stated.

Drew's parents remained silent for for several long minutes. They were a bit shocked from their son's outburst. Did he really think that?

"You really think that?" Drew's mom asked. Drew took in a sharp breath and nodded. "Oh honey. I'm so sorry. We thought we were doing the right thing. We just wanted what was best for you. I promise. If this girl loves you, than we'd be happy to welcome her into the family."

Now it was Drew's turn to be speechless. He never expected his parents to be so welcoming but it made him happy nonetheless.

"Thank you." Drew smiled.

"So, will there still be a wedding today?" His mom asked happily.

Drew and May exchanged a knowing smile.

"Some day, just not today. There are still things we would like to do together before then." Drew replied. "Wouldn't you say?"

"Definitely." May remarked.

"So, I'm sorry to say this, but we are going to get a jump on that. Bye." Drew waved as he and May ran out.

Once they were far enough away and within the cover of a forest, they stopped to take a breath.

"That was insane." May laughed as she plopped onto the ground.

"Yeah but now that it's over, I'd like to do something I've want to do for so long." Drew smirked.

"And what would that be Mr. Hayden?" May giggled.

"To kiss you." Drew replied.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" May asked.

Drew's smirk grew and pulled her in and kissed her like he had always wanted to. They kissed for all the love they missed out on. Though they were sure to make up for it now.

In a few months time, they decided it was time to become husband and wife. This time it all were happy and there was no need for a runaway groom.

THE END!!!