Chapter 19

• Chapter 19 •

Next day I had an appointment with Cane at my cell. For some reason, I was banned from leaving my cell, but I believe it has to do with Logan’s orders to protect me. He knows I'm a target and he told me I will not step my foot at the cafeteria at all until he gets my name erased off the death row list.

My mind was constantly drifting back to Harry and his bruised face. How long will it take for the swollen area around his eyes to fade away? How long will it take for the bruises and cuts to disappear off his pale tattooed skin? Shivers were thrown down my spine at the thought of his plan actually working. If he manages to do what's in his head, God knows where his plan will take us.

Cane walked into my cell casually, a neutral yet skeptical expression on his face, his hands holding a file. His button down deep purple shirt fit perfectly his slim body, his black pants and black shoes makinh hjm look taller and slimmer that he already is. His round glasses framed his structured face, his eyes zooming in on me the entire time he paced across my cell and took a seat on the chair.

“Hey, Rosie.” He greeted kindly, the same, sweet, familiar tone of his touching my heart.

“Hey.” I responded flatly, sitting crossed legged on the bed, fingers fidgeting with my wedding ring on my lap.

“You seem tired.” he commented, narrowing his eyes slightly as he flipped through the pages off his file.

“I'm good.”

“You heard about the announcement didn't you?” He looked up at me, waiting for my reaction.

“I'm ready to die.” I shrugged lazily, meaning the words.

His pupils dilated at my words, his lips scrunching into a frown. “You need to stop saying that.” he pointed his finger at me. “You're not gonna die because Harry will.” he added monotonously.

“It's the other way around, Harry will die because of me — he protected me and now we're both going for the chair.” I clarified, causing him to frown and look at me as if I had spoken greek.

“What are you talking about? You're about to be erased off the list in a few months.” He said casually, moving his hand in the air.

My eyes widened in shock as I realized that he Didn't know anything about my execution. “Oh fuck.” I gasped, earning a strange look from him.

“What?”

“Cane, you didn't read the announcement, did you?” I leaned forward, eyeing him cautiously.

“I did.” he nodded, flipping swiftly through the pages and picking out one. “But it only mentions Harry Styles, you're nowhere in the files, Rosie.” He told me, holding out the paper for me to take.

Confused, I reached forward and grabbed the paper. I read through the information written across, about Harry’s murders. Harry's name and the date of his execution in bolt letters got my heart tugging. Logan’s signing at the bottom right also had me feeling angry and vexed, but there is nothing I can do to prevent it. However, my name indeed was nowhere to be seen.

“No way,” I said, flipping the paper over to check the back side to find it empty. “I-I read the same announcement with my name on it and Logan’s signing — he came in and told me—,“ I stopped myself from saying too much out loud, looked around and lowered my voice, “—he told me to fight.”

Cane’s eyes widened but his brows were scrunched together in confusion. “That's impossible, he would never sign your death.” He muttered, shaking his head. “He, too, wants you off the list.”