Chapter 38

• Chapter 38 •

The painkillers did wonders and I slept for six hours straight. I could barely remember what happened when I woke up from my deep slumber, but just a look at my unfamiliar surroundings and new bandages wrapped around fresh wounds were enough to remind me everything.

I got up from the warm bed, glancing ourside the window at the dark sky. My stomach tightened in anxiety and anticipation. Did we find Harry? Are the cops near? Will I be able to escape next time they find us? And many more thoughts ran through my head as I walked out of the room and headed to the living room.

I wasn't surprised to find Elijah passed out on the couch, a gun right next to his head, placed on the small table. I noticed the leftovers of mac and cheese on the coffee table, the sight of food making my stomach growl loudly. I made my way to the kitchen in order to fill my belly with anything I could find.

Fortunately, the fridge had enough ingredients for me to make something quick and satisfying. While the pasta was boiling, I chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and made a quick salad. I was so hungry, I could eat anything in that moment. I was literally stuffing my mouth with saucy pasta and an omelet a couple of minutes later, when I heard slow footsteps approach the kitchen area.

I turned my head to see a very tired Elijah walk in, rubbing his temples. “Did you burn anything?” he grumbled, showing off his charming side.

“No, why?” I said casually, looking at him over the kitchen island I was sitting behind.

“I don't know,” he shrugged, sniffing in the air. “That's what I smell.”

I shook my head, “It's the drugs.”

“Yeah, probably.” he murmured and opened the fridge, staring at it too long before closing it and sighing. “We  are supposed to go in three hours.”

“And go where?”

“To our next hideout. We can't stay at one place for too long.”

“What if Harry comes here?”

Immediately, his face switched to annoyed and he gave me a blank look. “Stop playing dumb with me, Rose, I know how smart you are.”

“I can't understand you one bit.” I spat angrily, slamming my fist on the countertop. “Harry is your friend and the only thing you are thinking about is saving your ass.”

“Which is exactly what he did when he left you on that port and vanished.” He retorted, turning his body towards my direction. “You literally agreed on a secret deal to act dead so you could get away from him and now you wanna act loyal?” he cocked a brow, giving me a pointy look.

“I never said I wanted him dead, though.”

“He never did either but he left you to die.”

My heart clenched at the brutality of his words that probably carry the truth. I don't want to accept this version, I would rather think that something happened to him than the fact that he actually dumped me to drown. I'm self centric, yes, but it's better believing this theory than dealing with the pain of betrayal.

But you would betray Harry.

Fuck off.

“What is up with you two? Huh? It's like something terrible has happened in the past and you're forced to live with each other.” I dared to ask, placing one hand on my hip.