Chapter 52

• Chapter 52 •

“What the fuck is taking you so long?” Elijah’s muffled voice came from outside of the door, impatiently waiting for me to change into the long, black, turtle neck dress Bon gave me for lunch.

“Shut up.” I huffed, stretching the bottom down and exhaling in relief. The dress has been too tight for me to put on easily, even the sleeves wouldn't roll down my arms but once it's on, it feels and looks great on my body.

“We are going to be late and Harry is going to come up with stupid scenarios about us.”

“Chill out, I have the excuse ready if he asks.”

“Of course you would.” he muttered.

The anxiety creeping inside of me for this lunch was nothing compared to the feeling I had when we escaped prison. For some reason, there have been bells ringing in my ears as warnings about today, due to last night’s events with Harry. What if he decides to offer me a deal in front of the others and I have no way to escape it? Would he actually force me to do something I wouldn't want to do?

Stepping out of the restroom wearing the dress and heeled boots, Elijah eyed me from head to toe with a blank expression, obviously hiding his thoughts from me. A twinkle in his eyes told me he has been thinking of sexual things, which he isn't supposed to share. My cheeks blushed when he stared at me too long in the face.

“Alright let's go.” I urged, walking past him and reaching for the door.

The woman waiting outside the locked restrooms gave us an annoyed, judging look, probably assuming we were humping in there instead of noticing I changed the whole outfit. Pulling the ends of my blonde long wig down, I felt eyes landing on me from every direction as we moved towards the car. Great. Now I will be totally invisible in the crowd. Elijah surprised me by wrapping an arm over my shoulders, pulling me closer to his warm, strong body, his cologne once again having my insides melt with lust.

Taking a seat in the car and throwing my bag at the front space between my legs, I felt even more anxious than before. Elijah seemed tensed as well but not as worried as I was, probably because he did nothing to upset Harry, unlike me. As he pulled over to the road, a group of cops walked past us, none of them paying attention to us or the heavy SUV. Idiots.

Dua Lipa played quietly in the background as we moved through the city. Traffic had gone absolutely crazy in a couple of hours, the shops fully crowded and the parks filled with running pets and owners having picnics.

“The people are so stupid.” I shook my head, looking at the young kids playing on the grass. “There have been two attacks by us in a few days and they are still walking around and taking their children with them, they are exposing them to danger. I wouldn't let my kids go out and play if I knew there are criminals attacking the center every few days.”

“Mhmm.” he agreed before adding, “It's the illusion of security they feel because they see the police everywhere. They don't remember we escaped prison, I suppose.”

“How can they not remember? Everybody has been talking about it.”

“Sometimes people choose to look at the beneficial side of the story.”

“That’s why they get hurt.”

“Or just offended.”

I turned over to look at him, him mirroring my movements. A ghost of a smile was on both of our lips. For once again, we proved that we follow the same wave of thoughts, logic and reality mixed together and none of us seemed to be insulted or irritated by it. Elijah didn't say anything but either way, he didn't have to. He refocused back on the road, probably having the same thoughts as me.