Chapter 57

• Chapter 57 •

Next morning Harry was gone when I woke up. The mixture of disappointment, pain and relief was too hard for me to process, my stomach a very tight hard edged rock that clutches me painfully with each movement. Squinting through the ray of sunlight blinding my eyes, I got out of the bed, feeling physically sick to the point I wanted to throw up. Confused, I looked around to see if there is anything suspicious in the room. Everything seemed perfectly in order and no hint of alcohol was present.

Walking down the hallway to scan the house, I was surprised to see only Bon and two bodyguards sitting in the living room, drinking hot coffee and watching the news. I leaned by the wall, not making myself acknowledged, my arms crossed over my chest as I heard to the beautiful brunette reporter, Ria Wislow, speaking.

“... no results to the plan. We have the lead officer and MUI Logan McMain on the line—,“ Logan appeared by the half of the TV, looking absolutely serious and cold, his green eyes hiding a strong feeling of despair that only I could see due to the close relationship we grew in prison. My heart felt weak staring at him like that, dressed in his uniform with a bulletproof jacket on top. “—mister Logan, good morning.”

Logan nodded once, pressing his lips together in an attempt of a smile. “Good morning.”

“We have been informed that there have been a revolutionary climate at almost every police department of the state over the voting  procedure of the rightful punishments of the two most wanted criminals that are still not arrested. What do you have to say about that?”

Logan sighed lightly, “It has been a very difficult time for all of us, we are trying our best to locate the criminals and the constant disappointment has lead everyone to reach their limit. I understand their position, the world can’t understand how dangerous and challenging this situation is, every police department is on alarm 24/7, we have communicated with everyone that can help, our investigations are going well, our officers are working non stop and we are only hoping that we are getting closer to them by the—,“

“You are hoping?” The reporter cut him off with her on fleek thick brown eyebrows raised. “So the certaincy of your work isn’t estimated?”

“We are hoping we are getting closer to their next attack, because there will be. These two criminals are nothing like the criminals we have caught. They are both extremely genius and—,“

“It’s obvious, they managed to get through everything and they are still free.” she shot coolly, keeping her friendly posture as her contract demands.

“We are getting to them, they are running out of places to hide, they can’t leave the states, we have blocks in every street.”

My stomach tightened again, my mind replaying my plan over and over again. If I can’t board on the train, I will need a car. I turned to look over at the window, seeing the front side of our parked SUVs. I need to get the keys. My eyes moved over to Bon who leaned forward to reach for the TV remote from the coffee table, chuckling.

“Poor lad, he’s going to lose his job.” he muttered, the two bodyguards agreeing with nods.

“Like you care.” I said, walking in the room, making them turn to look at me.

Bon smiled, “There she is, ressurected from the dead.” he teased, holding his cup of coffee in his hands.

I made no comment and sat down on the further end of the couch, keeping distance between me and the two bodyguards. I poured some hot coffee in the empty white porcelain cup that was on the table and leaned back comfortably, staring at a pad commercial playing on TV.