CH. 21

____
"You're smart, you must know who I am." Mari commented making the younger girl take a good look at her. She wasn't as pale as she was, meaning she somehow got some sun. Her hair was a slightly lighter color than hers and her brown eyes were a bit more matured.

Young Mari narrowed her eyes at the older version of herself, "You're me. How?" She demanded and Mari glanced over her shoulder to the people behind them.

"We stole it, we also made a rash and selfish decision to go back with that girl back there." She muttered as the other girl shook her head in disbelief.

She didn't think time-travel was real, they had some smart people still left over but most were killed in the war. There was no way they had found some kind of way to send people back and forward in time.

"You don't believe me, that's fine." Mari noted before pointing over to Hitoshi with a determined face. "That man. He's familiar, isn't he?"

Past Mari's eyebrows scrunched up when she couldn't remember exactly who he was. His hair wasn't something that she remembered and his vibe wasn't familiar.

"That's Great-Grandfather, Shinso Hitoshi. We dragged him into this and changed what would've been a good life for him." Mari informed and her younger self's eyes widened when it finally clicked.

Hitoshi looked at the younger girl with a raised brow and a small smirk. "That means you met him. Is he like the stories?" She asked making Mari nod and smile.

"You don't need to commit crimes to feel happy, this adventure taught me that." Mari said, sticking her hand out between them. "Come with us. You might learn some things from it."

The younger Shinso hesitated, her hand twitching as it was about to grab the other girls outstretched hand. "No. You went through this, then you'll remember that I'll be killed if I don't do this." She snapped making Mari tilt her head in confusion. She didn't remember that part.

Young Mari pushed her hands out towards Mari, effectively throwing her out of the way and running at (Y/n). She could see the girl's surprised face that she managed to push away her older self.

Hitoshi cut her off, a disappointed look on his usually tired face. "Mari," He began making her stop in front of him. Her brown eyes stared up at him blankly, although there was a hint of admiration in them. "Stop this. We can help you."

"Great-Grandfather. I can't, you don't understand." Young Mari choked out and (Y/n) rested a hand on her shoulder with a reassuring smile. "We do understand. That's why we want to help you before you regret something."

Hitoshi felt a little awkward when he was called Great-Grandfather, he's used to being called Shinso or Hitoshi. Now there's a 12-year old kid calling him a name when he wasn't even a father.

Another wave of shakes went through the lab making (Y/n) send a look over to Jon, the man nodding back. He left the room with Koyuki and her younger version to evacuate everyone quietly.

"I can't, they'll hurt me. I need to get it before they come and do it themselves." She mumbled as she grabbed the machine from (Y/n)'s pocket and ran towards the door.

Her foot was caught on something, no matter how hard she pulled it didn't come loose. A dark chuckle came from behind them before she was pulled back to where Mari was flung.