Chapter 15

[Normal P.O.V.]

2 years later...

She wiped the sweat dripping off her face with her towel. The aching of her muscles forced her to take a knee. Her face red from exhaustion, she took deep breaths, trying to stabilize herself. She gripped her axe, Stormfly, hovering it above the ground.

Astrid's body was in the brink of collapse. The only thing keeping her up was the adrenaline and her desire to pass. Every muscle in her body was groaning in pain, but Astrid ignored it. Not until she hear those words. For two years, two years of hellish training, degrading insults from Night Fury. She spent two years just to hear Night Fury acknowledge her as a proper recruit. As a person qualified to join the Drakos.

She just finished the last test from Night Fury. The test that will decide if she's allowed to graduate from Night Fury's wing and take the final exam. Not even asking the others, she was sure that Night Fury gave her a hard time on purpose.

She had to spend a whole week in the simulation dome, where she had to survive from native savages and terrorists, with only a commando knife, rations, and two mini-grenades. After finding out that you can actually die in the simulation, but only from the mental suffering and torture. The feeling of death could send anyone to shock and eventually die. But even after all that, she survived.

But then Astrid had to suffer physical pain, like gunshots, knife wounds, and other injuries you'll experience in the field. They attached her to a stimulator which creates exact replicas of the pain of the wounds and injuries. A small part of her brain wanted to quit right there and then. But she's a Hofferson. And that's good enough a reason to keep going.

Astrid had to do a lot more things which challenged her physically, mentally, and emotionally. But in the end, she finished them all. Yes, she finished a rigged test from Night Fury. She was sure that it was rigged. Now, all she needs is the approval from her superior.

As if he he read her mind, his voice came out of the silent room, reverberating around them.

"Astrid Hofferson, you have passed my last test. You're no longer my recruit, but a finalist in the exams. Make me proud."

His words hit her like a wave of euphoria. The sense of victory and pride swelled up inside her. Though she was exhausted, she managed a small smile, to which Night Fury acknowledged with a nod.

In the sidelines, everyone she knew who were there, cheered for her. Their voices echoed around the entire floor, attracting several other agents to eye them oddly. Camilla and Thrane clapped silently, but Astrid could feel Camilla forcing herself not to scream. She could tell from her clenched jaw and her stiff claps.

Over the past two years, she grew closer to them. Even having fun with them. She spots Heather beside Thrane, who had a large smile on face, obviously proud of her best friend. After the incident, they thought she would never return. But one day, during a simulation, Eret was trapped in a corner, with a bounty hunter aiming his rifle at his head. He closed his eyes, expecting for him to fire. He then heard a loud bang, except it wasn't from the bounty hunter. Eret glanced up to see the bounty hunter with a hole on his head, as it crumpled down in a lifeless heap. Right behind the body, was Heather, with a revolver--the same revolver from the incident--raised and aimed at the former position of the bounty hunter. 

They had welcomed her back with open arms, and happiness. When they wanted to know how she got over her traumatic experience. She simply smirked, saying that she had finally conquered her demons, and that Gothi was truly an angel. This left the rest wondering what kind of healing powers did the old woman have. 

Right next to Heather, were her teammates, Eret and Thuggory, grinning with delight and bliss for the blonde woman. And who could forget the gang? They were the ones making the most noise. Even Finn was screaming like there's no to tomorrow.