Chapter 22

[Astrid's P.O.V]

Drakos Building, Hanger 3
14:21 PM
Mission Odin Status: Preparation

"Ready the choppers! Make sure to load the .95 caliber rounds and the PG-7Ts. And suit up! I want every available combat agent to be geared up and ready!"

Night Fury's voice echoed through the entire room. Agents everywhere, from the lowest rank to the highest, were scurrying around, following his orders.

We didn't know what to do. We were attacked during our graduation and then suddenly, Night Fury told us to gear up and that this will be our first mission. What are we supposed to do?

As soon as Night Fury announced that this was a state of emergency, every agent immediately moved into action. We were swept by the crowds until we reached a giant hanger, where multiple helicopters and planes were stationed. The entire hanger was built with glass, bathing the entire room with sunlight and revealing the blue sky.

I then spotted Camilla, who was busy ordering a couple of agents to load a cart of RPGs into one of the transport choppers. And... wait, where's Thrane?

"Hey, Camilla!" I called out to her.

She glances at our direction then looks back at the agents. After a while, the agents took off and Camilla ran at our direction.

"What are ya'll doing here? Gear up!" She yelled out in a strict voice that I have never heard her use. It honestly caught us off guard. She usually has this energetic and bubbly attitude but all of it seemed to change instantly.

"Why?" I asked. I mean, all of the sudden, we're rushing into battle? Can't we gather to plan first?

Camilla's face scrunched up into a scowl, "We're leaving! Every available agent must come! Ya just graduated, innit? You're official agents. So, get your asses going!"

The rest winced at Camilla's voice, then rushed away to gear up. Camilla was about to leave but I grabbed her arm. She whipped her head at me, a permanent scowl still plastered on her face.

"What?" She spat out.

"I didn't see Thrane. Did he go somewhere?" I asked.

Camilla's face suddenly fell. Her hardened eyes softened at his name. She bit her lip, avoiding my gaze. Then, she looked back at me, her eyes trembling. If it weren't for her tough girl persona, I would've believed she was about to cry.

"Thrane didn't make it." She muttered. I widened my eyes and gasped. No. It can't be. Thrane's dead?

"He covered me from the flames. He saved me. But the flames burned him to the bone." Her voice began to crack. She looked at me with glossy eyes, the pain of losing a friend, no... family, visible.

I placed my hand on her shoulder, "I'm sorry, Camilla. He was a great man." I said with a saddened tone. Gods, first day on the job and people are already dying. This only opened my eyes to see the harsh reality this world has come to.

I saw Camilla rub her eyes, and lifted her head. She hardened her eyes once again, attempting to put up a brave front. But we both could see right through it. Nevertheless, the determination and fire burning in her eyes wasn't fake.

"Gear up, Astrid. There's a war coming."

....................

I quickly grabbed a long dark overcoat with a white fur collar and wore it over my tunic. The logo of Drakos was imprinted on the chestpocket as my identification. We haven't really selected our own armor but this will have to do. I leaned down to tie my boots that I got from the armory. Placing Stormfly in the micropocket, I pocketed it in my coat and left my room.