Chapter 40

[Normal P.O.V]

"Nuffink! Fuck! Don't worry! You're going to be alright!" Hayden screamed as he tore a piece of cloth from his pants and held it against his wound. Bear and Marcos were standing around them, they're hands on their heads.

"Why the fuck did you do that, Nuff?" He shouted at him.

Nuffink coughed harshly, drooling out blood. "J- just get o- out of here, m- man." He stammered as his breath hitched.

Hayden cursed himself. He had just brought another life to its end because of his mistakes. Nothing seemed to change. This man that laid on his arms, slowly dying is a result of his actions. He regretted bringing them in his plan. He even regretted sharing his life to them, because that only made them closer and the pain of his imminent death worse. The strength in Nuffink's body slowly faded. His arms gave out and his breath was ragged and slow.

With his remaining strength, he lifted his hand to clutch Hayden's shoulder, "G- give... that l- letter to... her." His words as soft as a whisper. "Don't... w- waste the l- life... I saved f- for you..."

His last words died out in his mouth as his chest fell along with his hand. His eyelids fluttered close after breathing his last breath. The life and energy in his body has faded away. A quiet rage swelled up in Hayden's body. Rage for himself. Rage for his actions. And most of all, rage for his life. He let out a sigh as he slowly placed Nuffink's lifeless body on the ground. He stood up along with the others, who stared at the body with sympathy and grief. Marcos signed a cross on his body and kissed his crucifix, all the while muttering a small prayer for him.

Stephen rushed towards them after saving them from the guards and saw the scene before him. Though he didn't totally know him, the grief and sadness on the faces of his companions were enough for him to share his feelings. Hayden gritted his teeth, the anger flowing through his veins. He needed to release that anger, and the only way he could do it, is to take another life himself. But he knows it won't do anything but makinf it worse. Killing would never solve anything. He learned that the hard way. But he still does it anyways. He already accepted what he's done. But for those who didn't deserve to die, he always regrets it.

Bear gazed up at Hayden with saddened eyes, "Don't blame yourself, Fury. This was his choice. And you better make sure he made the right one." He said firmly.

"We'll be out and keep a lookout while you dig. Goodbye, assassin." Marcos nodded at him before rushing towards the door along with Bear. Stephen glanced at Hayden's trembling form.

"This is my fault. All I ever do is bring pain and suffering to the people around me." Hayden muttered faintly, his hand hovering over the letter in his pocket. "Why do the gods want to fucking curse me?!" He yelled out as he paced around the altar.

"Mistakes happen all the time, Hayden." Stephen sighed out as Hayden stopped to look at him. "But this wasn't a mistake. It was a choice. He chose to save your life. He chose that your life is worth saving. He wouldn't want ye going around moping, does he?"

That caused Hayden to crack a smile, "I know..."

"Don't make his death in vain. He sacrificed it for you. But just remember, Hayden. No matter what you do now, I'm proud... to call you my son." Stephen smiled warmly, slightly hoping he wasn't pushing it.

Hayden reciprocated the smile, "Thanks, Dad." He said before wrapping his arms around the mountain of a man. It caught Stephen off guard, but he immediately hugged him back.

After a few seconds, he released him. "Go. I'll go help your friends." He nodded at him before following Bear and Marcos outside.

Hayden then turned around and pressed the button on each machine, activating it with a whir. With the machine now operational, a blue plane of laser panned out from the machines. After a beep, the laser plane pushed against the wall, melting and incinerating the concrete along its way, creating an entrance to the hallway.