18. Wasted Chances

Hermione sat quietly, her hands fidgeting under her desk as she tried to settle her nerves. Draco stood awkwardly in front of her, hands deep in his pockets and gaze hovering over anything but her. Harry was furious when Hermione had asked him to wait outside; it was his job to keep the Minister for Magic safe, and here she was, inviting danger straight into her office.

"Hermione," Draco started, finally looking at her and taking a step forward.

"Why are you here?" She asked simply and softly. Draco could detect the hurt in her voice, and it broke his heart all over again.

"I just...I" Draco stammered; his voice caught in his throat as he tried to put his feelings into words.

But Hermione was impatient. She had spent an entire year thinking about this very moment, and here he was, screwing it up as usual. Pushing a strand of hair roughly out of her eyes she took a deep breath to calm herself. "Look Draco, the only reason you and I are speaking right now is because you happened to be in the same place as me. You've made no effort over the last year, so why should I?"

Draco stood there, shocked and embarrassed. She was right. Too ashamed of what he had done, he had made almost no effort to get in contact with her. The feeling of guilt swept over him as he started to lose hope and looked down, shamefully, at his feet.

Hermione took a deep breath and continued, much quieter this time, "I really cared about you Draco. Really and truly. You tore me apart."

"Please, let me fix this Hermione." He whispered desperately, now looking up to meet her gaze. "You have no idea how much I need you."

"Then where were you?" She exclaimed, getting up from her chair. "Where were you Malfoy when I moved away from London? Where were you when I got this job? Because if you had any interest fixing this you would have been there!"

"I was just-"

"You were just what Draco?" Her chest now heaving heavily, "Feeling sorry for yourself that Hermione Granger didn't come running straight back into your arms? We're not kids anymore Draco, that's not how this works!"

Hermione then fell into her chair in defeat and placed her head in her hands to sob. Every emotion she had managed to hold in the last year now suddenly spilled out of her. Draco was rooted to the spot, his thoughts screaming at him to do something, anything.

"Hermione." Was all he could manage to whisper.

She didn't look back up at him as she took some time to collect herself. Wiping the tears from under her eyes and smoothing down her skirt, she slowly got up, the expression on her face had change; hard and unyielding. Walking over to the door and holding it open for him she spoke softly but firmly, "I'm sorry Draco but this isn't good enough." Taking another deep breath, she continued, a pained expression swept quickly over her face, "You need to leave, I have things to do."

Draco nodded his head, and, without another word, walked straight out of her office, not stopping until he was safe enough distance to apparate away.

Hermione stood silently at her door as Harry made his way back in. From the expression on his face, he had heard every word. Without speaking to her he pulled her into a warm hug, feeling her relax and sob into his chest. He had never seen Hermione Granger so broken. She was still in love with Draco Malfoy. One year wasn't nearly enough to heal her. As he held her tighter, he made a silent promise to himself; he would do everything he could to fix this, even if it meant cooperating with the Devil.