32. The Accident

Hermione raced desperately down the halls of St. Mungo's, trying to hide her tears from the visitors, patients and Healer's calling out happily to their Minister for Magic. Her feet wouldn't move fast enough; she needed to see him.

After the Patronus vanished, Harry and Ginny looked over worriedly towards Hermione. But she was already on her feet, gathering her things and preparing to disapparate. The thought of something terrible happening to Draco terrified her. But she needed to be there for him, regardless of whether or not he would take her back. Harry and Ginny were down in the waiting room; they knew that Hermione needed time alone with him first.

Picking up her pace, she rounded a corner and knew immediately she was at his room. Outside, a number of Healer's were gathered, whispering desperately to each other. Hearing Hermione's heels run down the corridor, they smiled slightly before one of them stepped forward to greet her.

"Minister," she said gently and calmly, "I am so glad you're here."

Hermione smiled in response, trying to look over her shoulder into his room. Another Healer noticed this and quickly shut the door.

"Ma'am," the Healer spoke again, drawing Hermione's attention away from the door, "Mr. Malfoy desperately wanted to see you."

Hermione was trying to hide her frustration, tapping her foot impatiently she controlled her voice, but it still came out strained, "That's great to hear. Am I able to see him now please?"

The Healer shifted on her feet uncomfortably. Swallowing, she spoke slowly, "Minister, Mr Malfoy is- uhh-"

"Is what?" Hermione pushed impatiently, an odd sense of fear now starting to wash over her body.

"Please, Ma'am," She indicated for Hermione to walk with her to her office. "I think it's best if we speak in private."

Hermione's heart was racing against her ribcage as she followed the Healer down the hallway. Stepping into her office and both taking a seat, the Healer took a deep breath and looked Hermione straight in the eyes. "Minister, Mr. Malfoy came in to us about an hour ago, barely alive and awake, asking- well demanding- for you."

"Oh." Hermione whispered, all the air in her lungs rushing out in one pathetic word. Her body felt numb and her hands began to shake. The Healer continued. "Because of his injuries, we had to put him in a coma. He made us promise to send for you before he went to sleep."

"His injuries?" Hermione whispered, her eyes widening as she gripped onto the arms of the chair in support. "What happened?"

"Mr. Malfoy was in a car accident leaving London." She smiled sadly and shook her head, looking down at her hands on her desk, "It's incredible that he is still alive, but our Healers are working extremely hard to keep him breathing."

Hermione slumped back in her chair at the sound of those words. Draco was in a car accident leaving the restaurant he had seen her at. The light began to dim as stars started to pop in her vision. She could hear the Healer rush over to her and yell her name as the world started to fade away, but she gave in to the pressure on her chest and closed her eyes, not wanting to exist in a reality where Draco could die.

But before Hermione could fade away into the darkness taking over her vision, the Healer grabbed her head and poured a sweet tasting potion down her throat. She threw herself forward to cough, the stars in her eyes slowly fading away and the world around her becoming still again.

"Thank you" Hermione sighed once she had composed herself. The Healer smiled sweetly at her, having seen the exact scene with many of her visitors numerous times. Rubbing Hermione's shoulder gently, the Healer spoke softly, "He's not awake, but would you like to see Mr. Malfoy now?"

Hermione jumped out of her chair, ignoring the way the room started to spin, and nodded her head furiously before following the Healer out the door and down the corridor.

As she walked her hands started to shake and she shoved them deep into her pockets to hide them. She was terrified of what she might see, and her breath quickened as the Healer opened the door to Draco's room.

Before she stepped inside the Healer turned around to meet Hermione's panicked gaze, blocking the doorway. "Minister," She spoke quickly, "We are doing everything we possibly can."

The Healer then moved out of the doorway. Hermione took a deep breath and stepped into the room.

"Oh, Draco."