25. Confessions

Hermione drummed her quill anxiously on her desk as she glanced at the clock for the fourth time this minute. It seemed to be moving slower, every second felt like a lifetime. Sighing in frustration, she threw her quill down and jumped out of her seat, walking over to the magnificent glass window in her office that overlooked the Atrium. As she absentmindedly watched witches and wizards scurry across the floor down below like ants, her mind drifted to Draco.

It had only been two days since he had left but her body and mind craved him more than ever. She craved his touch; the way his lips felt on her or how safe she felt when their fingers intertwined. The way he touched her, with such care and tenderness. She missed the way he made her feel; the way he could make her heart pound with a single look or the most beautiful girl in the room with his words.

She had read the letter he had handed her one hundred times over. Taking it out of her pocket again she opened it and smiled,

My Hermione,

I have an old friend in Russia who I need to see. I despise the thought of being apart from you for so long, but this is important. I'll explain myself when I return next Saturday.

I'll be waiting for you at the restaurant where we had our first date, almost 3 years ago. I can't wait to see you again.

All my love.

Forever yours,

Draco

Hermione sighed as she tucked the letter safely back into her pocket. She had not heard from him since he had left so her only connection to him was his note, and of course the rose he left for her. Pulling her eyes away from the window she slowly sat back down to continue her work and used all of her strength to not to glance at the clock for the rest of the afternoon.

5pm rolled around slowly as Hermione buried her nose in report after report. No matter how much work she took on, the minutes seemed to tick by slower and slower. Finally, as the corridors of the Ministry grew quieter, she rose from her chair and packed her things, thankful that another day had passed and that she was another day closer to Draco.

Leaving the office, she was greeted at the door by a single rose laying in front of her door. Picking it up and smiling widely, she walked towards the fireplaces; thankful that, even on the other side of the world, Draco could make her heart burst with happiness.

The next day rolled around almost the same as the last; meetings, reports, filing, more meetings, more reports, all dragging on, slower than ever. Around lunchtime, Ron knocked on her door.

"Hey Mione," He said. Looking up from her paperwork, Hermione furrowed her brow at Ron. Was he nervous?

"Hey Ron," she replied, deciding that she was imagining things, "What can I help you with?"

Ron looked slightly stunned for a moment. Gathering himself with a small cough he said "Oh, I, um, brought you something!" He held out his hand to present a small, messily wrapped parcel that seemed to be leaking. Sensing Hermione's confusion he said sheepishly, "Mum made extra lunch for me. I was wondering if you wanted to share?"

Hermione laughed at her best friend. "Sure Ron, come sit down." Waving her paper work off her desk with her wand, she motioned for him to sit with her. Over the last year she had felt herself lose touch with her best friends, especially Ron. Now that she was in a place where she was finally happy, she was excited at the opportunity reconnect with him.

They sat and ate Mrs. Weasley's sandwiches together, laughing and making small talk. Ron asked her how her new job was going, and she asked him about his family. Hermione didn't spend much time at The Burrow anymore and missed the warmth and comforts of her second home; she just didn't have any time to visit, not with work anyway. Besides, she didn't really feel like having the whole 'Hermione is dating Draco Malfoy' conversation with any other Weasley's any time soon; it was difficult enough with Ron.

Ron then asked her how her week has been. "Oh, my goodness, without Draco here it feels like it's dragging on forever!" She laughed, leaning back comfortably in her chair. "He sent me the most beautiful rose though. All the way from Russia!"

Hermione watched Ron stiffen slightly before swallowing his bite of food, and frowning "Oh yeah, Malfoy's gone. Bet you're glad for a break from that git."

Hermione chuckled. She knew she couldn't expect Harry and Ron to be best friends with Draco overnight, so she let his insult slide. "Not really, I'm very excited for Saturday though."

"What's Saturday?" Ron asked, his mood starting to shift slightly.

"Draco's taking me to the restaurant we had our first date at. He said he has a surprise for me!" Hermione blushed excitedly, feeling relieved that she could finally talk to someone about it; Harry didn't want to hear a word when she tried to tell him about Draco's date.

But telling Ron didn't go as Hermione had planned. Instead, he jumped out of his seat and almost yelled at her with a mouthful of food, "WHAT?! What kind of surprise?!"

Hermione was shocked as she stared at Ron worriedly who was now quickly pacing the room and running his hands anxiously over his head.

"I don't know Ron." She muttered nervously. "What's the prob-"

"I need to go Hermione, see you later."

And with that, Ron stormed out of her office, leaving Hermione sitting in her seat shocked as she watched him walk down the corridor away from her.

****

Harry could tell the angry footsteps storming down the corridor were Ron's. Sighing, Harry got up out of his chair to open the door and Ron raced straight in and threw himself into Harry's chair in exasperation.

"Oi, make yourself comfortable mate." Harry laughed at Ron. But Ron didn't smile back, instead he put his head in his hands and said "Harry, Malfoy's going to propose to Hermione!"

Harry took a step back in shock. "Where did you-"

"It's obvious Harry!" Ron said loudly, now throwing his hands wildly in the air. "I was having lunch with her and she said 'oh Draco has a surprise for me when he gets back'" Harry chuckled at Ron's terrible impression of Hermione before walking over to his best friend and sitting on top of his desk.

Looking straight into Ron's eyes Harry said firmly, "Ron, Draco's not proposing. He showed me a promise ring he wants to give her. Something about family traditions. I don't know, some Pureblood rubbish but," Harry now grabbed Ron by the shoulders, "Hermione will still always be our best friend Ron, we're not losing her!"

Ron shook his head and said, "How do you know all about this Harry?"

"Because Draco came and saw me before he left and told me. He wants me to help him make it perfect for her."

Ron looked up at Harry for the first time and spat "Oh, so you and Malfoy are best friends now are you?"

Harry was taken aback by Ron's comments and shook his head in confusion. "No Ron. What are you talking about? I'm helping him for Hermione. That's all."

Ron got up, now flushed a deep shade of red and shaking with anger. Walking towards the door he turned to Harry slightly and said, his voice soaked in pure fury "Well, whatever you have planned with Malfoy you need to sabotage."

"And why would I do that Ron?"

Ron had now approached the door and was holding on to the handle so tightly, Harry thought he might snap it off. "Because I'm your best friend Harry."

"Well, what does that have to do with anything."

Ron threw the door open forcefully, it smashing against the wall. Turning to look at Harry, with murder in his eyes, he spat "Because I'm in love with her!" before he slammed the door shut behind him, making the room feel like it was shaking and leaving Harry with a large headache.