29. Double Date

Hermione woke early Saturday morning in a tizzy of excitement at the thought of seeing Draco; the week was finally over. Jumping out of bed she combed her hair straight and brushed her teeth quickly as she thought about her breakfast with Ron. He had been acting so strange the past few days, laughing dramatically, smiling like a manic, she was excited to get to the bottom of things so that he would feel more like himself.

Hermione walked into her kitchen and jumped in surprise. A small, brown owl was perched on the counter, staring at her with its head cocked to the side. It held a small note in its beak that it dropped to the floor upon seeing Hermione and started frantically buzzing around the room. She picked up the letter from the floor and, as she read it, walked over to open her window wider to let the owl out.

Furrowing her brow in confusion and let out an annoyed breath she threw the letter on the counter. Ron wasn't making it easier for her to meet Draco this afternoon; he wanted to have breakfast at the same restaurant she was supposed to be meeting Draco for lunch. She took a breath to calm herself; of course, Ron didn't know that's where she was meeting Draco, she shouldn't be mad at him at all.

Grabbing her bag and heading towards the door, she cast a charm over her to stop the rain from ruining the effort she had put into her hair. The walk felt very familiar to those she used to do when she worked for Draco. She smiled to herself and blushed a deep shade of red as she continued walking to the restaurant, remembering exactly the kind of things Draco had her do.

She walked in to the restaurant and took her seat. It was early morning so only a few people were seated around the room. Looking up, she stared at the magnificent chandelier, the extravagance of the place forever reminding her of Draco.

"Hi Hermione." Ron spoke softly, dragging her out of her daydream. She got up to hug him and give her reply. Motioning for him so sit down opposite her she did the same and she settled back into her chair comfortably and watched Ron. He was so nervous. His cheeks flushed patchy red and his hair was a mess. He kept tugging on the collar of his shirt and glancing at the door, like he was ready to escape.

Hermione loved her best friend but was starting to get uncomfortable. Why would he say yes to coming with her if he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here?

"What's going on Ron? She asked, resting her head in her hand.

"Oh, uhh" Ron kept glancing at the door. He took a visible deep breath before looking at Hermione and asking, "Do you like the roses?"

Hermione was confused that he had changed the subject, she frowned at him and said suspiciously, "Yeah, I guess. They're not from Draco though. I'm not sure whose sending them to me."

Ron looked at her smugly, blushing a little deeper.

"You sent them?"

"Yup" Ron replied happily, now seeming to puff his chest out with pride. Hermione continued, "But why Ron?"

"Why do you think Hermione? I like you?"

Hermione's jaw dropped and her eyes widened dramatically; her thoughts were running a million mile a minute. She tried speaking but her mind was boggled but his declaration. Before she could regain her voice, he continued.

"I've always liked you Hermione. Since school. But I was an idiot. I didn't realise until I had to watch you be happy with someone else. It kills me watching you with him."

Hermione's hands were shaking under the table with nerves. This was not how she wanted this to go. If she had known that her relationship with Draco was the reason Ron had been acting so weird then she wouldn't have asked him to come with her in the first place. She had to approach this softly. He was still her best friend after all, she didn't want to hurt him but she also didn't want to lead him on.

"Ron," she started slowly, keeping her eyes carefully trained on him." I appreciate you telling me. But I love you like a friend."

"I though you'd say that." He muttered moodily, his eyes suddenly becoming a shade darker as he frowned at her.

"I'm sorry Ron but I'm so happy with Draco."

Ron shot up from his chair with a bang, people were now starting to look over to them. Hermione coughed awkwardly as Ron stood in front of her, his chest heaving angrily. "But how Hermione. How can you be happy with that git? He was horrible to you." Ron stared at her for a moment, before realising that she wouldn't answer until he sat back down.

Throwing himself angrily back in his chair, Hermione spoke softly, "Was. Ron. He was horrible to me. And I was horrible to him. We've grown up. We're adults and we've moved on with our lives."

Ron seemed to more be turning a deep shade of purple. He stuttered "But you're too good for him Hermione!"

She chuckled in reply, "Thanks Ron but I don't think so."

Ron's eyes suddenly darted to the door and widened slightly. Before Hermione turned to see what he was staring at, he leant forward and murmured "I do," before grabbing the sides of her face and pulling her forward, his lips crashing into hers unromantically.

"Hermione?"

Hermione's heart sank at the sound of that voice. Pushing Ron away violently and angrily she jumped out of her chair.

"Draco?"

She could have died from heartbreak just looking at him. Standing there, in his best suit, with a bunch of beautiful lilies in his hand he looked so small and pitiful. Speaking softly, his voice catching in his throat he muttered, "I see." Before turning on his heels and walking away.

Hermione was shocked and dumbfounded and terrified. She turned back towards Ron, who was now leaned casually back in his chair, smiling smugly, and saw red. She grabbed her wand out of her pocket and jabbed it roughly into his chest. "YOU!" She almost screamed at him, "You planned that?! You sick, horrible excuse for a human!" Ron's smile faltered slightly, and he started to lean back away from her as she jabbed the end of her wand harder into his chest. "You listen to me very carefully Ron Weasley. I will never, ever, date you. And I will never, ever, forgive you for this." With one final hard jab of her wand she raced off after Draco, desperate to fix the mess Ron had made.